Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum News and Updates

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hello team

I noticed there is no fact sheet for carers (or for patients) about when a patient attempts. 

My husband was 4 months in hospital post attempt so I found much of the going home information not as relevant as would be for a short term stay.

I  have had no joy finding any information about coming to terms with a physical injury caused by an attempt. 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Feedback: Fact sheet request

Hi @Former-Member

I'm really sorry to hear about how suicide has impacted you and your husband. It can be incredibly scary and overwhelming to come to terms with an attempt, particularly where there's been a significant physical injury.

I've passed on your feedback to our content team and we appreciate the recommendation. In the meantime, I thought i'd include the resources below:

Helping and supporting someone after a suicide attempt

Support after a suicide attempt

I hope that's useful for now @Former-Member. You may already have done so, but I'd also recommend checking in with your GP to gain a referral to a counsellor in your local area. It's so important to have a safe space to talk about things. And of course, (for you, and anybody reading) if you or a loved one ever need immediate support, you can contact Lifeline 13 11 14 or Suicide Callback Service on 1300 659 467 🌻

Re: Feedback: Fact sheet request

Thanks for links @Margot I did look things up at the time (2 years ago). Mr D is having ongoing orthopaedic issues and is struggling to come to terms with the deficit as a result of his attempt. I just remind him that he was unwell and that attempts are sadly a symptom of his condition. I also remind that his therapist can help him in relation to this.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance