Megan68
Casual Contributor

Caring for bipolar 1 daughter

I often feel very tired from all the caring for my 21 year old daughter with new Bipar 1 diagnosis. Although I have support from my parents it can feel lonely at times. With the loss of my partner in March to an illness it’s a difficult time.I do feel positive in amongst everything. Still waiting for medicines to be balanced. I enjoy nature my dog Teddy and my work. 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Caring for bipolar 1 daughter

Hi @Megan68 

Thanks for sharing your story, and welcome to the forums. 

Sorry to hear about what you're going through at the moment. The company of others who are understanding and supportive will do you a world of good; so I'm glad you've found us.

I'm sure our members here will continue to support you through this journey. You're not alone here with us 🙂

Hi @Megan68 

Welcome 🙂

You sound like a very strong person to be managing all that and still acknowledging the positives in your life. It's understandable that it might feel lonely. I'm very sorry for your loss 🩵

Do you get out much in nature with Teddy? How wonderful our pets are, for the love and companionship that they give us! Nature can be very soothing. 

Hopefully the new diagnoses for your daughter is going to bring answers and allow new, positive routines to be built into your lives. Hopefully the new medicines will work well for her! 

Thanks for your reply. It can feel very isolating at times and it is good to be able to be in contact with others “in the same boat” 

I do have good relaxation strategies like walks and going to crystal shops. Listening to music. 

I find that if my daughter is low, in a dark space and argumentative ( a common state atm ) I ask if there’s anything I can do to help then support as much as I can then leave the room or go for a walk etc (if she is feeling safe to be alone) Sometimes leaving the space is helpful as it’s very heavy being around the negativity. I find it emotionally difficult to leave her alone for long with suicide ideation as a daily reality for her atm.

The medicines are still not right. We went to the psychiatrist yesterday who is adding a new one this week. 
it’s taken a while to find this Dr and it seems positive so far. 

Thanks for your supportive response. Yes I do get out with Teddy into nature which is very healing. Dogs are so wonderful as a support during difficult times ( as well as any time ) I adopted Teddy during a time when my partner was very ill and also my daughter. He was for my daughter for her emotional support, however he has been as much a support for me ! 

IMG_5512.jpeg

❤️such a great photo!

what a beautiful photo of Teddy @Megan68 

how is everything going today 

Hello @GGdragonfly 

Hello again @Megan68 

Apologies for my late reply, I didn't see you had responded. If you want someone to know you have replied on the thread, just type the @ symbol and a dropdown box with names will appear. Choose who you want to include in your post and then they will get a notification. 

Teddy is lovely 💜 🙂 Haha I love his hat! Adorable! 

Yes, it can be quite heavy, the sadness and negativity. I hope the new meds are starting to work for your daughter. It's good that you're able to get out. Nature, crystals, they can be grounding and clearing for us. Do you have any particular crystals you like?

I have a little collection going, myself. I have a chunk of rainbow fluorite like this that makes me happy to look at 🙂

8ppleTree_0-1726099073456.jpeg

And the lavender is blooming here, too. I leave most for the bees, but I like to cut a few sprigs and dry them around the house. Do you like to garden? 

Hi @Megan68,

Thank you for sharing with us.

As mentioned previously by @8ppleTree you have so much going on and are still grateful for the positives, which is beautiful and shows the type of strong and resilient person you are. You should be proud of that.

I am very sorry for your loss earlier this year 🧡

That's really good that you have activities that you enjoy, as they are all part of our self-care, and it is so important for carers to take that time for ourselves.

I am happy to see that you have a good feeling about your daughter's new psychiatrist and medications, hopefully everything will become a bit easier for the two of you... It's always such a delicate time trying to find the right mental health professionals and medications, remember to try to be kind to yourself.

P.s. Aw, Teddy bub!! What a cutie 🐾 Dogs are just the best friends, aren't they? They give so much to us.

Hope to hear from you soon and take care.