Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Isabelle
Senior Contributor

A long day after a long couple of months

Hey guys, 

Hope everyone is coping okay, especially those down in Victoria right now. 

I've been having a rough 2 months, was re-diagnosed with major depression after doing okay for a year and a bit. Started meds again last month. Crap really hit the fan today and thankfully was able to get myself in touch with the hospital before things got uncontrollably bad. Didnt end up needing to go inpatient, just received care for some stuff I wont go into detail for. Grateful to have a good GP and new psych behind me and a good partner these days. Made me think back to earlier admissions in my life where I had no support and was much worse down the rabbit hole. I wonder if my life will always be like this, a couple steps forward, a couple steps back no matter how much I progress with therapy and everything else that comes with it. Hmmm. 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: A long day after a long couple of months

@Isabelle  Hi, that’s a tough one. Will life always be like this, a couple of steps forward, a couple backwards ? I honestly don’t know, but when I can notice some change, even small change, it feels ok enough, even for a short time. I’m grateful for that, when I can actually notice it.

Having a good GP, psych and partner is definitely a big help.

Good on you for getting to the hospital for help, before things got worse. I hope you are going ok now.

We are here to listen and support you, if we can. Take care.

Re: A long day after a long couple of months

Hi @Isabelle I'm sorry it's been so hard, and is so hard.

I'm glad you have support. I've also experienced real depths without support and I don't know how I hung on; in a much better place now in terms of people around me.

My experience is that to some degree a couple of steps forward, a couple backwards is my lot. Still, my quality of life is generally on the up overall thanks to good health professionals, friends, better coping strategies.

I take solace in this quote from Pema Chodron (knowing that you might not, just putting it out there!):

"We think the point is to pass the test or to overcome the problem, but the truth is that things don’t really get solved. They come together and they fall apart. Then they come together again and fall apart again. It’s just like that. The healing comes from letting there be room for all of this to happen: room for grief, for relief, for misery, for joy."

Take care.

Hi @Maggie good to see you

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance