Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Decluttering and home maintenance

@Former-Member, battling with feeling overwhelmed. And cold.

Did make a little progress today by deciding that the number one priority was making floor space in the lounge/dining area... being someone who hates waste, it is so hard to deal with a whole lot of craft oddments that I would never have bought myself in the first place, but I really don't know if anyone else will want them. Half finished projects that will never get finished, small scrappy oddments and suchline.

I also got outside this morning and cut back the massive Bird of Paradise plant that's outside one of the bedroom windows. When I opened the blind in there, it made no real difference due to the huge leaves slap bang against the outside of the windows. Now some light can actually get in. And there's a huge pile of giant sized leaves and stems to dispose of. I might just cut them into shorter lengths and leave them around the plant to rot down.

@Smc  I can see how people are tempted to get a skip ... when we had to clear out FIL place we took so much stuff to the op shop, where he probably purchased most of it in the first instance and I wondered how useful some of it would have been.  There was no sentiment involved which probably made our job easier.  

I hope you have a warm bed ...

The bed's pretty warm thanks @Former-Member. Three blankets and a doona.

We will be getting a skip in, probably on our next visit, when my sister and possibly my Hubby will be here too. There's a lot around the yard that's too far gone to be useful to anyone. Old tyres, broken fibreglass roofing, rotten timber, a matress that was too far gone to use. Even my "waste not want not" eye can see enough around that we'll probably fill it. At least that will mean a little more room to move.

download (7).jpeg

Checked the water meter first thing this morning. 700l used over night so back to square  looking for leaks. Decided that the replacement joiner I purchased is no good despite specifying it had to be mains pressure rated. Went into town to a different shop and got one of a different brand and very clear difference. Hoping the new connection will hold. So far so good but darling has to put up with a crater in the front yard for 24 hours while I wait and see. She actually does not mind due to the false start. 

@Determined, did you use plumbers' tape on the join? I think (don't quote me) that it's a teflon tape. It's stretchy, you wrap it around the inner thread of the fitting before the outer section is screwed on, it's soft enough to mould to the thread while fresh, then cures into a sealant. Hope that makes sense...

Poly fittings @Smc  no tape required.

There is a rubber o-ring that the end of the pipe presses into. 

Any improvement last night with meter reading @Determined .

Hoping you are seeing some visual reward for your efforts @Smc .

@Former-Member  meter reading for this morning was higher than expected but not alarming. Checked it again after work and :ok_hand:

Will check again tomorrow but confident enough now to start covering pipes again. 

I actually purhased a large junction box same as used for water meters so I can just lift the lid and keep an eye on things. Darling is pleased with this solution for easing her anxiety. 

Good idea with the junction box @Determined. 🙂

@Former-Member, seeing good progress in the room I'm sleeping in, largely because it's been the only heated room while I've been here. Next time we're up here my sister will be sleeping in this room, so she'll have a little bit more room to move, fewer tripping hazards, and a cleaner carpet.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance