Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

theaveragejoe
Senior Contributor

Do you have a Hobby?

If you have a hobby, like me (I have a few), you can do mindfulness while having fun. For example, if you like collecting stamps, growing plants or flowers, growing vegetables, or doing anything else that you like doing, that is mindfulness.

When I paint, or play music, or write, I go into another world  and all of my problems vanish. Sometimes I forget what time it is if I get really involved and I can go for hours. That is mindfulness.

One needs not try to do any forced meditation or anything that is an effort. Just do something that you love doing, get immersed in what you are doing, and that will be mindfulness or the act of being  in the Here and Now 🙂 

17 REPLIES 17

Re: Do you have a Hobby?

Hi @theaveragejoe

I do love gardening and watering.  I feel that I am on 'another planet' when watering.  It somehow relaxes me.  I find that if I force myself to do mindfulness meditation it doesn't work. I love to read but I am finding this difficult at the moment because I struggle with concentration. 

I love gardening too @BlueBay and @theaveragejoe

I also feel all Zen and calm when I'm doing the dishes. I give in to my ObSeSsIvE cOmPuLsIvE dIsOrDeR and just clean clean clean with a happy smile. It helps when the kitchen has a view too... 🙂

My main hobby is writing. I love it with a passion... 🙂

Hi there. I enjoy my studies but that is more work related. I paint as I was studying a ba in fine arts before I became unwell. I'm finally now following my dream and doing a ba in creative writing. Plus I have scrapbooking, sewing, quilting, gardening, photography and guitar to name some of my hobbies. I have a care plan in place which means a safety plan so when I'm feeling particularly unwell I can practice Mindfullness or read . Sometimes just turning to one of my hobbies helps but when I'm depressed I find its hard to manage these things. Mindfullness has changed my life! Kind regards

Hi @Silenus

I am the same I enjoy tiding up things and cleaning. Order is important for me and I too have OCD.

Like looking after potplants,doing colouring-in and crosswords. Bimby2 

Hi @Bimby2

yes colursa can be magical, colouring in can be very therapeutic. If these activities make you feel good that is wonderful 🙂

I like to exercise.  Bodybuild actually.  I like the order it gives my life.  I eat at certain time, eat certain foods, go to bed and train at the same time everyday.  I litterally can spend hours in the gym.  I love the endorphin feeling that exercise produces.  Its the natural opiate.  Very addicting.  

I also enjoy writing.  Particularly poetry.  I'm currently on medication though that somewhat decreases the mania I have.  From an artistic standpoiint, this is a loss, because i do some of my best work when manic.  I still write though.  And have written some excellent pieces but not to the extent I would have.

I also love video games.  I have PS4 and I spend alot of time honing my gaming skills.  It's like entering a different world.  Taking a vacation to places that can only exist in the imagination.  To me, playing a good game is better than a trip to a tropical island.  For with graphics, the human imagination and computers now a days, you can create entire worlds that are just as if not more breathtaking.  

I also enjoy brain training games.  I practice on lumosity, daily.  Sometimes I obsess over it and play games again and again until I get a certain score.  I'm in the 98th percentile overall for cognitive functioning, for my age group.  Something, I am particularly proud of.

I'm also into music and I should persue it more vigorously as a possible career choice.  Due to the abundance of poetry I write, which could easily be turned into music, I have a plethora of material to draw upon should I ever train my vocal chords or learn a instrument.  I have the time now, so I might as well.

Those are just a few of my main interests.  I have plenty more. 🙂

It's interesting to see how creative many people in this forum are. As a quite non-creative person I admire everybody who can express themselves so well.. for me, life is more about logic and numbers..
But I do have a beautiful dog and a horse, and am lucky enough to be able to spend time with them almost every day. It fills me with a lot of joy when I see how they can just love me unconditionally. It makes up for the relationships I find so hard to maintain with people..

I doubt it very much that you are not creative @Lch86238

what you said in your post is very creative. All humans ar creative, for better or for worse, just that some like you are not aware of it. Find your talent and work on it.

Understanding animals as you do is in a way a creative activity. Working with numbers can be very creative.

Creativity is not just painting, or playing an insturment. Anything that you do creatively is creative, even playing with your dog.  🙂 🙂 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance