Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Making a commitment to self-care, and keeping it!

Hi everyone,

Back in December, we ran a Topic Tuesday about stressors over Christmas. At the end of the session, a number of people made commitments to certain activities to keep well over a potentially stressful time.

So firstly, I wanted to check in with @MEB @Former-Member , @coffeegirl @Shaz51 to see if they maintained their commitment. If you can't remember, you can check out page 6 & 7 for what you wrote.

Let us know how you went.

Often we put our own mental health, life plans and desires on the backburner when we are in a caring role for a loved one. Actually - our own priorities are often the first to go!

I thought we could start a thread where people could share their self care plan and use this thread as a way to be accountable for your self-care commitments.

What do you want to commit to?

76 REPLIES 76

Re: Making a commitment to self-care, and keeping it!

Hello @NikNik 

In December just before christmas the Three things I committed to self - care was

How did I go ??

1. To start and Finish   a  jigsaw puzzle I got as a christmas present from a friend xx -- I have started the jigsaw puzzle , but haven`t finished yet

2. Look after my health --- Is an ongoing committment

3. Finish the book i am reading -- I have finished the Book -- YES

For  2017

I will  commit to?

1) finishing my jigsaw puzzle

2) growing more flowers in my  gardens

3) more reading

How about you  @MEB @OverTheEdge , @coffeegirl , @Former-Member, @MadameMeow, @PeppiPatty xx

Hello @skylight

You wrote How do you deal with this situation-- it has taken me awhile @skylight, i am still learning

I have found being on the Sane forum very helpful  , talking and sharing and starting threads of my own

You wrote ,Do you have "me Time"?
I don't have much of "me Time"--I don`t have much of Me Time too , I also have 4 stepchildren who are all adults now but also busy with husband and we are self employed as hubby can`t hold a job

But I am finding that a little me time is better for me -- like a cuppa under the trees or on the front steps

I read magazines not books , that way i can up it down and pick it up

what do you do to relax  my friend xx

Hi @Shaz51 @NikNik @MEB  @Former-Member 

@coffeegirl , @Carer101, @MadameMeow@potato

Okay, ms @Shaz51 

These are my committments;

to make  Christmas decorations for next Christmas.

I had a hiccup with the sugar for this month and need to cut down again (yay) 

This is a weird one but I really like doing the right thing and assist others with cleaning their homes and I charge just my petrol money ( 20...a little more) and a meal for me and husband for that night. I am cleaning for a lady who can't do it herself,for about 3 hours per time she lives in homeswest and she has no way of getting this little amount of support for herself and it is helping her a LOT.

I feel very special about able to do this and the excersise is awesome. 

Hello @Puniro, @JaneTruth, @Former-Member, @Determined

Making a commitment to self-care, and keeping it!

Hello my special friend @PeppiPatty, you are special my friend

Hello @NikNik, my jigsaw commitment is not going too well, but will get there xx

Put more routines in place to suit my needs not others' needs.

Gently come back to the mantra that I have rights too.

Good committment @Appleblossom

Very impressed.

PP xxxbook shirt.jpeg

Hi @NikNik

Great thread, I just wanted to share some of my commitments that I made at the end of last year (November) to add to all the others 🙂 

1. I was going to get back on my bike and cycle 50- 100 km/ week (3- 5 hours)  Fail 
I think I may have done 50 in total if I am lucky.
I am looking to get back into this in the next week or 2 when  my darling returns from hospital. Target for 2017 is 5000KM.

2. Resume attendance at a weekly bible study. (Achieved 2/3 since it resumed this year so cant complain). Requires getting out of bed at a time that is not normal for me is all but worth it when I can get the routine happening. 

3. Resume weekly attendance at a social sporting club.
This is dependant on my darling being well enough to leave with the little people to feed and get to bed, or more to the point how compliant they are with the process. not looking good so far this year.

I look forward to providing positive updates in the near future on progress and don't mind people making me feel guilty for non-compliance 🙂 

well done to everyone who is reaching their goals 

Hi @Shaz51   Saw this and thought of you Darcy

Displaying IMG_20170108_141154.jpg

Sorry @Former-Member, I could not open it or see it , do you want to do it again my friend xx

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance