Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Regret from mania. Please help?

@Jenn4  Hi Jenna4 I know sometimes people are scared of me and cannot work me out ..... but I cannot work myself out either lol so I try not to think about it too much.  I am a lil bit weird but then again who isnt.Smiley Wink

Hi @Jenn4   Definitely too much for most people when I'm manic.  But thankfully have had my longest period of stability the last 2 1/2 years so not feeling like that these days.  Touch wood!

I like your expression about extreme sport.

For me, I prefer to say "I have ..." rather than "I am ..." as that means my diagnosis doesn't define who I am (to me anyway).  But I don't say it very often, I choose not to disclose about it to most people.  They really have to earn my trust before I will share this information, and that's not easy to do.

Thanks @eth  and @greenpea  🙂 your support and empathy is really encouraging. And, yeah, bearing in mind that I don't get me either i think is something I can focus on for sure. 

I'm not sure how long you guys have been on the bp journey for, but for me it's only been 5 to 2.5 years (got diagnosed 2.5 years ago) so I really appreciate advice from other people's lived experience for sure 

that's cool that I have .. works for you, eth. Everyone is different, and I think in framing illness and neurodiversity we are still learning flexibility in what works for different people like we are learning together generally! I hated the I have .. lens so I'm encouraged that it's the goer for you 🙂 

❤️ 

Any Winehouse's,

if you can't handle me at my worst (/most full on haha) then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best,

springs to mind too 

@eth @greenpea 

@eth , @greenpea  do you guys manic buy?

I'm not a big manic buyer because I'm generally a very cautious and thrifty spender, but there a two things I can think of that i bought manic or hypomanic that i don't know if would have bought otherwise. they weren't crazy expensive but not cheap.

I probably would have bought them when my brain wasn't being manic..

But i have a weird relationship with them now even though they are cool things, my enjoyment of them has been marred by the memory of hampered control and mania-regret. 

Any tips on overcoming that? It feels gross and i wish i could just enjoy them without that callback. 

Thanks 🙂 

@Jenn4  Hey Jenna I am a manic thrower-outer.er I throw out good clothes things I have recently bought on a whim nothing is safe ..... I dont know what the answer is to be honest?? but it damn well annoying when stable to have (when manic) bought something then throw it out the next day...... 

Hi @Jenn4  and @greenpea  sorry for the delay responding.  I've had a quiet week forum-wise.  

I have had periods of huge overspending in the past but it hasn't happened for some time now.  What I do is if I have an impulse to buy something that's non-essential and doesn't fit in my budget I make myself delay the decision to do it for at least a couple of days to make sure it's not just an impulsive whim.  Works most of the time, even when I'm a bit elevated.  Having that discipline has taken a long time to grow, but it is possible.

Thanks for your encouragement @eth , all good on the delayed response! Good to know you have grown that skill over time, that encouraging. I just find that i have a bad relationship with the thing i bought afterwards, because i wouldn't have probably bought it otherwise, so i'm kind of mad i did, and it just reminds me of that 'uncharacteristic behaviour'. I donno. i'm working it out with help from friends. (: 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance