Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Pollyotter
Senior Contributor

Self care

Ok if it is so easy you stay in my head and I will do the normal thing. 

I am struggling with self care and people around me are saying how easy it is to self care ... Am I lost in the woods 

7 REPLIES 7
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Self care

@Pollyotter  I have found self care easier said than done. Once I understood how important it is I have been really intentional about it. When my husband Mr Darcy is well he is quite encouraging with this, when unwell not so much. At these times I find even having a regular haircut can go out the window.

I find having a few "mini" self care strategies helpful,  things that don't require too much time or effort, but can give you a lift. 

@Former-Member
Self-care has just become such hard work at the minute. But if I open my mouth about it to my family it just becomes a thing of just do it. They sound like Nike advertisements gone wrong .
I am seeing a doc tomorrow afternoon for a mental health plan . Let's see
Jack5
Casual Contributor

Self care is most deffinately not an easy thing to do, internally or externally. It also cannot be forced. It is not something you can simply 'just do' but takes time to form new habbits and learn what works for you. There also can be bad days and good days, or bad weeks and good weeks. 

When you say self care, what exactly are you refering to? Inner love for yourself? Or physical self care? Or both or something else? 

Former-Member
Not applicable

A couple of discussion threads that may help you @Pollyotter  that you can use these links to go to are:

Carers Hints and tips to Success 

8 dimensions of wellness 

There are a number of social pages for various interests.

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Pollyotter 

As a carer we often don't place the same importance on our own self care, sounds like the family are supportive.

What would you like to do?

Hello @Pollyotter 

Hearing you about the difficulty of self care.

I agree with @Jack5 

It is complicated and nuanced. I have been WORKING at it for a while and slowly getting better at it.

Gently Bently

Apple

Hello @Pollyotter@Jack5 , @Former-Member , @Appleblossom 

how are you going today @Pollyotter Heart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance