Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Understanding my psychosis

Hi and welcome to the forum @Elliot

I don’t have any experience with psychosis but wanted to reply. 

Most people will go through something that has consequences and regret at some stage of their lives. I know what you experienced isn’t that simple but hopefully it means that people will have empathy (some kind of understanding even if they don’t understand psychosis)

From my past experiences time to build trust again and time for forgiveness is important. As far as past friends go maybe giving them some information that feels relevant to you might help explain. SANE has one on psychosis Here. I’ve found the SANE factsheets helpful. Your friends might come around and forgive you and move on or not. I think time heals some things. 

As as far as seeing the old therapist I think that’s a great idea. It might help you have some understanding, and maybe personal closure, on the things bothering you. It might be good for them also to see how far you’ve come and that you are still working on recovery. 

Best wishes and good luck. 

Hi @BryanaCamp 

I definitely was a bit of a sociopath during my psychosis.

and yes I totally agree it's not ok to harm others. 
and yes I most definitely damaged my reputation through my actions.

no I'm not saying I have no remorse or no moral compass.

but for the things I did during my psychosis I struggle to understand the impact for them because I felt like it wasn't me.

yes apologies it has taken me time to apologetics to people, but there are certain people during my psychosis where I struggle to apolige to.

but yes you are totally right I need to find a way to apologise  

Hey @Teej 

@yeah it's a great thing going on on this website, good to be apart of.

Yeah that information is super useful.

yeah I have definitely have some

but yeah it is also really hard to feel empathy towards something you don't understand. So I guess I have to keep that in mind with what my old friends are thinking.

thought in seeing the therapist, and yeah it would be a much more positive experience and I'm sure she would feel happy seeing the changes since I saw her last. 

thanks again!

Youre welcome @Elliot . Good luck 😊

Hi @Elliot @can I ask if you don't mind, you said your psychotic episode was drug induced. How long did the psychosis last for? I ask because my son had an episode late last year when he was smoking dope. His then treating shrink said it was probably drug induced and put him on a course of anti psychotic meds. Unfortunately my son continued to smoke pop so the meds weren't working. Around month 3 he finally stopped smoking and the beds seemed to work. He stopped taking them around 3 weeks ago. He's just started seeing a new shrink who my son has apparently told that his thoughts/delusions have continued. This shrink is now saying the episode last last year wasn't drug related and that he has psychosis. He said in his view drug related psychosis only last a couple of days or at most a couple of weeks but not several months so I'm interested to hear how long your episode was. 

Hi @Elliot did you see my last message? Cheers

Kelly

Hi @Kellyil 

It makes me very sad hearing what you are going through with your son, and makes me empathise more towards my parents and what I put them through due to my psychosis.

To answer your question

"How long did the psychosis last for?"
My psychosis was on and off for about a solid 1 year and a half,

but through Head space and putting my full Trust and faith into the Psychiatrists hands, the intense symptoms of Psychosis were fading away.

The main issue with psychosis is that it does take time to heal.

on a side note, I would personal recommend headspace because they have lots of expertise in specifically psychosis, and they can be your Rock of consistent treatment.

They also have people with lived experience of Pschosis.

Theres nothing worst then being mucked around with the Mental healthcare system.
Just a side piece of information, 2 percent of people that smoke pot have a bad reaction in the brain.
As crazy as it may seem but
what your son is going through is very normal considering the Usual of Pot. And his vulnerability to the Pot.

any further questions, I promise I'll answer quicker this time.

my thoughts and prayers and going to you and your son.

kind regards 

Elliot

I would personally recommend 

@Kellyil wrote:

Hi @Elliot @can I ask if you don't mind, you said your psychotic episode was drug induced. I ask because my son had an episode late last year when he was smoking dope. His then treating shrink said it was probably drug induced and put him on a course of anti psychotic meds. Unfortunately my son continued to smoke pop so the meds weren't working. Around month 3 he finally stopped smoking and the beds seemed to work. He stopped taking them around 3 weeks ago. He's just started seeing a new shrink who my son has apparently told that his thoughts/delusions have continued. This shrink is now saying the episode last last year wasn't drug related and that he has psychosis. He said in his view drug related psychosis only last a couple of days or at most a couple of weeks but not several months so I'm interested to hear how long your episode was. 

Hi @Elliot and thanks so much for responding. It's interestng to hear how long your Psychosis went for as my sons new Psychiatrist issaying that this want druf induced and as drug induced spycosis only lasts from a few days to a few weeks so he is leaning towards Schizerphrenia. You situation gives me some hope that he may be wrong. I'm in Brissy can I ask where your from? I will get in touch with Haead space. Do they actually treat people?

@Kellyil I'm from Adelaide, yes they are a Very professional and Realiable place to go.

there is a program in Headspace called Youth Psychosis Program "HYPP"

This is between the ages of 18-27.

there are other people In the same boat as your son,

When I went, I was hanging out with people also with worst cases of psychosis, it opened my eyes and I didn't feel so alone in the "madness"

I'm not sure what the Headspaces In Brisbane are like, but I'm sure they are just as good.

Headspace is also a completely free program with acess to everything you need.but you need to be refered from your GP.

I would love to keep in touch with you, and see how you and your son progress

@Kellyil wrote:

Hi @Elliot and thanks so much for responding. It's interestng to hear how long your Psychosis went for as my sons new Psychiatrist issaying that this want druf induced and as drug induced spycosis only lasts from a few days to a few weeks so he is leaning towards Schizerphrenia. You situation gives me some hope that he may be wrong. I'm in Brissy can I ask where your from? I will get in touch with Haead space. Do they actually treat people?

Hi @Elliot  Oh wow Im an Adelaide girl! Go the Crows!! Thankyou for all your support. I am just jopinhg against hope that this is not a permanent thing which leads to Schzephrenia as I've been leade to beleive but more a drug induced episode which has all of the added issues of teenage stuff along with the hurt and anger my son has over his father abandoning him and tellig him at aged 10 that he was ashamed to call him his son. He needs help dealing and coming to terms with this and I belive then he may be able to heal. Thankyou I would love for you to stay in touch.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance