Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: What does recovery look like for you?

So like reading your posts @Appleblossom
Personally
Me and husband definitely discuss schiZophrenia as an illness and a condition.

When we seperate for 2 years..... He worked very hard on owning his illness/ behaviour
The good / craziest part for me is not hVing the police over most nights
Getting headaches of my own life not from continual stress
The best way I found to be a very proud consumer meaning I have accessed mental health agencies in the pAst
Is standing in front of the mirror and saying it
Learning to laugh when the weirdest people bring it up in public, smile and agree
Feeling a strong stick inside me holding me up strong when speaking it

You are great modelling @PeppiPatty for lived experience without stigma.

I am still coming to terms with what effect stigma has had in my life.  It is sometimes not enough to say it shouldnt exist but I am still coming to terms with how it does exist and has effected me.

I didnt actually have that much shame about mental health services as I was too young to be responsible when I first came into contact ... yet other people's perceptions, shame, immaturity and stigma have effected my family life greatly. eg my mother and her 8 siblings ..and mother's fear of stigma ..

Hi .. I missed you earlier tonight.

You make a great point, Kristin.  All we seem to hear these days in the media is how mental illness is a burden in our society.  How it "costs" the economy billions, how people with a mental illness are measured by whether they are employed or not.  Am I a burden to society?  I don't feel that I am.  Not because I work and have a job, but because I understand what it's like not to have a job, the stigma of not having a job, the stigma of not having a job and having a mental illness.  It is not us who are failing society, it is society who is failing us.  We don't cost the government billions because we don't have a job, we cost the government billions because the government only gives help to those already in crisis (which is often to little too late) and not enough into early intervention.  They can find the money to support tourism, but cut health funding because it's not "pretty".  GP's that I have had experience with are poorly trained and seem to dish out antidepressants because it's easier than doing a mental health plan or admitting that they don't have all the answers (which is fine - refer me to a psychologist!)

In summary, recovery is different for all of us and she never be equated to having a job.  Having a job can be helpful to recovery, but should not be used by others to measure a person's worth.  Having a job is stressful enough and may well be the reason that a person is unwell.  A person who takes a heap of time off because of a physical injury is not questioned.  But when you need some "you" time so you don't burn out, which could lead to physical problems, you are made to feel like criminals or liars.  It is just as important for us to manage our emotional well being as our physical, but this view is sadly not reflected in society.  

My "recovery" did involve getting a great new job, but that was just the icing on the cake.  Accepting my depression and anxiety as a part of me not a separate entity attached me helped me to accept me and be happy.  I stopped fighting myself and accepted the beauty of mental illness that was in me.  I have gained insight and strength from my mental illness.  It's not all dark and ugly.

Gaining insight and strength from periods of mental illness are important points.

Many people with MI also contribute in volunteer roles and their contributions go unseen and unmeasured.

I am mindful of the destructiveness of many gung ho types in the paid work force .. whose social depredations have not been adequately seen and dealt with .. but are experienced.

Hi @kristin,

I think that, for me (anxiety and depression), it would be that I'm more relaxed, things don't get to me, I feel more confident and have higher self-esteem, and that I feel a degree of self-love. Also, maybe accepting that I have an MI and being able to work with it to look after myself? And not seeing myself as weak or flawed. Hmm - there's a whole insight into my head... 🙂

@Emilythecat I understand that too, id love to feel less effected by stressful situations and more level headed when they occur. I like to think of management opposed to recovery as I beleive that long-term anxiety and depression management is the best course for me 🙂

By the way. @Emilythecat my parents first pet was 'emily the cat' and she was such a great per that they named my little sister after her! Fun fact, love the name 🙂
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance