Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

kenny66
Senior Contributor

Medication

I was wondering how people feel about their medication regime, or not. Does it cause any challenges?.

I dont want to get into a pro or anti medication discussion ( I think that is a whole different topic) but rather the practical issues confronted each day by needing to be medicated to a regime. Also some people choose not to be medicated so their stories will be interesting as well. I know there are very passionate debates for and against medication but thats not really what I am on about in this thread.

Kenny

32 REPLIES 32
JT
Senior Contributor

Re: Medication

I dislike the fact I need to take medication.  However I am accepting of the fact that I have tried alternate pathways and in order for me to continue to function in the manner in which I choose to, I need to take it.  I do struggle with the fact that I miss my shall we say up phases and that is the one danger in my regime that I see.

@ 58 i have no trouble accepting my meds regimen, but it wasn't always the case...

for me, non-acceptance was due to nature, nurture & environment resulting in a lack of maturity...

with maturity comes self-awareness & self-discipline both of which i had very little as a child or an adult until my late 40s due in part to my mental health which was diagnosed in my 30s...

there are other physiological conditions i need to take meds for & i've accepted that there's no difference in treating arthritis, asthma, or the wiring of my brain...

whether it be physiological or neurological, i need to implement habits & strategies so that the meds can work to their fullest potential - it's just life &, as with most things in life, not always easy, & sometimes exhausting...

the benefit in accepting that my mental health needs a meds regimen far outweighs the fear & anguish of not accepting it...Woman Wink

kristin
Senior Contributor

Hi Kenny,

You ask good questions. 🙂

I'm no longer medicated. I was for many years and always struggled with remembering it even though I was only ever on 1 med at a time. Other than the pre-packaging which pharmacists offer for a price I have no strategies to offer on managing multiples.

The med before last, which I was on for about 8 or 9 years (too long I think), would "remind" me by having rather unpleasant side-effects if I was late taking my dose. It was quite excruciating to get off too. When I got down to the lowest dose available I had to start opening the capsule each day (day1 - remove 1 granule, day2 - remove 2, day3... , etc) for weeks until I was on less than half a capsule, then stopped altogether. This drug seemed to help when I first went on it but by the end of those years I don't think it did much good at all, even when I was on the highest permitted dosage.

I always struggled with the idea of being on medication and for a long time really fought the whole thing. In the end I recognised that I did need help, and hoped medication would provide some relief. I can't honestly say now whether it helped any more than a placebo would have. I do know that the side effects of the last anti-depressant I was put on were absolutely hideous!

However I have to concur with one of the others who has accepted that there is probably little difference (except in our attitude) between taking medication for say diabetes, or another physical illness, and for a psych condition. My rider would be that if you have something physical which responds to changes in your diet, lifestyle, etc then surely you work (as best you can) at being well so you can take less of it, or even none if possible.

I don't think medication or no medication is bad per se, but I do suspect that it's better for our health if we can minimise tinkering with chemicals internally. This has been very much part of my personal journey - discovering repeatedly and painfully that my body has very low tolerance for any chemical or hormonal "tinkering".

So when people tell me they've been told they'll have to be medicated for the rest of their lives, and they loathe the idea, I suggest that they don't allow anyone else to tell them what's possible or impossible. It's probably not a good idea to ditch meds cold turkey at the drop of a hat, but that doesn't necessarily mean a life sentence. No one knows you like you do, it's your journey, and you can choose to work on wellness as a long-term "project". This will undoubtedly have ups and downs, but as a sufferer of bipolar I can honestly say that it is possible to achieve enough life-balance in the long term to manage without medication.

I guess my medication has become: silence, prayer/meditation, computer games, reading, cooking soup, writing poetry, being at the river. I can even share some of this medication with others, and this is something else I am grateful for. 🙂

Best regards,

Kristin

PS Sorry I do seem to have strayed into the pro/anti discussion a bit, but hopefully with some relevance to your original question.

Hi Kristin

Very nice response.

I am very much pro medication for me, because when I am not on it I am sort of invisable as me  the person.  I lose time and forget experiences so its not really a proper life -thats apart from all the naughty and uncontolled behaviour, Anyway its been a real life saver for me, really. It doesnt knock me around too much and I am one of the lucky ones that it doesnt sedate me too much either. Worst thing I have to take the stuff early morning-luchtime-afternoon -night, so it is a bit of a pain if you want to go out to town. I was on one last year which was great for the schizophrenia, probably the best I had but the side effects were too much so I had to go off it. All up I am fairly good on it so life is good for me.

Loopy
Senior Contributor

kenny66, medication is a drag, once a week I force myself to fill my dosette, anti-dressannts, cholestorol tabs, bp tabs ............. But if I neglect to do it then I am really in it up to my neck, panic sets in then I stuff up.

loopy

Im in the middle changing one medication to another so im feelin pretty well "blah" im doing alot of sabotage to my self, oh the joys of withdrawal symptoms, not nice over christmas, dont know if it will be to festive id say it will more festering for me

tabby, don't pull you fur out just yet, it is a slow and bloody hard job. But you will get through it if you tell yourself, if this is the worst I can get then everyday after will get better until the new meds kick in. Been there done that a hundred time and always get back on the very first one I took. But talk about on the rack.

loopy

kato
Senior Contributor

hey @kenny66 

Let's see, i 6 years ago had a break from reality, that came out of no-where and the only thing that helped was all the nice little meds to take every day, then as most on here no i felt "good" stopped my meds on my own accord and ended up where i am now, resigned to the fact that the nice little meds are what i/me needs personally to actually function as a person, to keep myself in check....

Do i enjoy taking them nope

will i keep taking them..... well for the way it has been explained to me the rest of my life, yep

why, i don't ever want to go to either places i have been to 6 years ago or nearly 3 months ago, it is not worth the pain and suffering to go back there, so every night i take the ones to keep me from getting silly, and every morning i take the other lot to keep me from going silly

an endless cycle that i will continue and hopefully some day learn to love haha

always a good question tho, i find myself some days questioning taking them, and then i remind myself of what happens when i don't and i take them.

I agree with the looped one.
it's a rough road and really from a best practise clinical sense should be closely supervised, that being said it's often not and therefore lonely as hell.
I did again 4 months ago and it was by far the hardest. Sabotage was my friend. But in the end I got there.
I know u know this
One day at a time. Wish it was easier for you
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance