Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

simontemplar
Contributor

All my life's a circle

Morning all..tis 2.30 ish am.....and I am back ( did ya miss me 🙂 )

One of my many "coping mechanisms" when in a major depressive funk is to listen to music. I found a cd i had forgotton i had by a guy named Harry Chapin. On the cd was a song called circle which just spoke to me.  I shan't type out the lyrics but they were very apt for how I was feeling.  Strangely having my feelings so aptly sung to me made me feel slightly better (weird hu).

Which then got me to thinking how did i get into the funk in the first place, and is it possible to recognise the beginning phase and take action, yes i know i should ask the psycologist  and I shall do so when next we meet..but the question did intregue me.

The reason i put " around coping mechanisms is I listen to music alot....and never thought of it as a mechanism of any sort, i always thought i just liked music...so maybe its not a mechanism...I really have to stop overthinking this stuff.

On the lighter side.....my gp recommended i eat more fruit..so now i eat fruit and nut chocky...:)

2 REPLIES 2

Re: All my life's a circle

I enjoyed reading your post @simontemplar . It is the kind of circular thinking I do often and  the title of the thread got my attention too. 

It’s really hard to stop the overthinking, and at the same time still think through before phases. I get a bit looped in this part, and then struggle to see the before phases until after. I think my gut feeling is that over time, awareness and experiences (going through it) will guide me better. I have come a way but still have a long way to go to recognise where my head is at and then what to do about it. 

Loved the fruit and nut nut chocolate solution too. 

Best wishes. 💜🤗

Re: All my life's a circle

@simontemplar  I possibly would head for the fruit and nut first, then much away to music.

I read something awhile back, that said recognise where you stumble, it prevents a fall.

I haven’t managed any recognition yet, but know the falls well, maybe too well. I suppose there always something to learn, even hope for, even if it is just awareness of a stumble, sometimes.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance