Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: An opportunity to tell stories

I'll tell you more about my encounters with the multiverse in due course, but my objective in any discussion of it may not be what you would expect. Navigating the multiverse depends on being able to bring one's dreaming to the surface of one's consciousness, which may be interesting in itself, but there is another more urgent reason why I'm interested in it.

I don't think of myself as a particularly talented dreamer, unlike some I know such as Castaneda's Mexican informant Don Juan. But once upon a time during my childhood I know that I was. My memory is getting a bit rusty now that I'm in my sixties, but I remember that during my twenties I could remember a lot of things from very early in my childhood, and in view of my somewhat desperate predicament I made an effort to retrieve as much of it as I could.

I could remember visiting places I couldn't associate with the movements of my family. I could remember dreaming of old country houses which my family never visited. I could remember dreaming of derelict houses with the broken remnants of someone's life scattered on the floor, and in the garden the remains of a rusted car. I've always known that one dwells in a half light at this time of our lives, which is not to say that it isn't filled with colour, but that it consists of both waking and dreaming.

At the age of four I remember looking up at my family's house and realizing that I couldn't dream of all the other places anymore, and I remember making a mental note to myself to rehearse as much as I could of what it was like before. It was these memories that I was fetching in my twenties. I believe that my dreaming abilities were being stifled by growing up in a society which had no use for one with dreaming skills, but there was one last attempt by my dream body to make a memorable impression on me. It would have been when I was about ten and it was cold so it would have been the winter of 1966.

I remember it was cold because my father has the gas heater on in the room where I woke up from this dream. My father was an accountant who frequently brought his work home, so he was often up late doing his sums while everyone else was asleep.

It wasn't an ordinary dream so much as a strange tactile obsession I was having, and I call it a dream because I was asleep in bed at the time. It wasn't the first time I had this dream either, but this was the first time it had this surprising conclusion. It was a rough and spongy surface which may have been wet, and my brow furrowed as I tried to make sense of it. On this occasion my sense of the surface grew until I recognised the fabric of the armchair in the living room, and it was at this point that I woke up somewhat dazed across the room from where my father was working.

The chair was a little behind his, so my father had to turn before he said "Oh, hi Skyview. I didn't hear you come in."

The room had two glass doors which my father had closed to contain the warmth from the gas heater, and they made a distinctly clunky noise when either opened or closed, so his surprise was only to be expected.

Now, it is very likely that most of you will want to doubt the truth of a report like this. I won't doubt that waking up in the place you've been dreaming of is a very uncommon experience, but try to look at it from my point of view. My memory of this occasion is quite clear, and in spite of the apparent oddity of it the logic is water tight, so I find it difficult to contradict my beliefs about the matter. There were only two ways into this room, either through the clunky doors, or from the dining room which would have been in my father's line of sight.

I originally began thinking about the possible existence of a multiverse, in which one could go to sleep in one world and wake up in another vaguely different one, in order to assure myself that animals, and any suitably equipped humans, could survive a global extinction event. I believe that animals are much more successful dreamers than we are, and that some of them could bring their dreaming to the surface of their consciousness where they could develop an ability to navigate the multiverse.

If half of all time is contained within our bodies, and an equal measure of time fills the starry universe, then navigating the multiverse could provide some of us with a path to survival in the event of a worldwide disaster.

I grew up in Sydney, but in the early 1980s I decided that it would be better for my psychiatric health to get out, and I've been a country person almost continuously ever since. What really impressed me about the country was the appearance that time was virtually stationary everywhere I looked. I could look at a landscape and feel like it had been this way for millions of years, and so I began to think that there might be a dreaming right in front of us here on Earth which existed independently of any particular point in time. Not only could I sense the Earth's timeless dreaming but I could also sense the presence of a solar ancestor among the shadows I took shelter in, and in the rays of light.

As a result of my association with the cosmic presence I've been telling you about I was able to rid myself of some of the beliefs I grew up with about the nature of life, death, and the mortality of consciousness. I would watch the cows in the paddocks and realize that they had never left their Pleistocene dreaming, unlike humans who seemed stuck in an evolutionary dead end where an extinction drama was unfolding before their very eyes. It didn't take much insight to conclude that it had come to this because of the way humans had defined 'reality'.

I won't deny that for a lot of animals death will be just as it seems to be from the human point of view, which is to say pretty brutal and often very cruel. But I suspect that for some animals, and some humans for that matter, death will be a very subtle thing. I suspect that for beings who have developed a psychedelic ability, and who have brought their dreaming to the surface of their consciousness, the end of time has a very different nature.

If the Earth is a dreaming consciousness as I suspect it is then anyone's sense of time could be a matter of negotiation. I've seen this for myself, and it is something to behold. I was in a psych hospital in Orange, and I had just been admitted so I was feeling very insecure. I was sitting on the edge of a bed by the window when I saw the Earth dreaming lift the curtain with a little breeze which I could feel with my thoughts and feelings. I could feel the effort it took for the curtain to rise and fall as if the dreaming wanted to reassure me that it knew where I was, and that it had not forsaken me. It was a very subtle thing, but that's the point I'm getting at here. The Earth can be a very subtle presence in your life which you'll have to go to the trouble of observing. I took me a couple of years of renegotiating my relationship with the world around me, but once you've seen the Earth dreaming you'll never forget it.

Any creature who has been able to realize that the Earth's dreaming goes on right in front of them will look for it when they're dying. For the cows, and a lot of others like them, this will mean a return to their Pleistocene memories where they will dream of all eternity. There can be no doubt that the body consists of a map of time and that at the end of it there will be a sleepy cadaver. But this doesn't mean that a creature's map can't be filled with a dreaming of fond memories.

And for those creatures who experience an episodic multiverse the possibilities will remain quite tempting.

If you're still reading my posts then you probably feel comfortable with the notion that the body consists of a representation of the entire universe. Well, some bodies are more representative than others. While animal bodies depict the universe in a certain way plants are just as representative, and in a universe of pervasive symbolism trees have the honour of representing the multiverse.

As a representation of multiple timelines the leaves and flowers of the tree depict the present states of the multiverse while the branches and trunk depict the past, and the timelines which each of these flowers will have in common. In terms of the creatures we see around us, while the present states of the multiverse will grow in number and flourish they will display subtle and significant differences, but they will have common ancestors, and their fossil records will be virtually identical.

The flowers and leaves of different branches will have ancient ancestors in common but they will also have more recent ancestors which are different. In terms of our lives here on Earth our respective timelines have so much in common that it may look like we are all living on one world, but we are many worlds bound to each other by no more than a bunch of socially binding agreements. We are not parallel worlds so much as interwoven ones where the pattern seen unfolding from day to day is subject to negotiation.

For those creatures whose interest is navigating the multiverse, forming strategic alliances with others who have more ancient ancestors is a crucial navigational practicality. One such creature who happens to have very deep roots is the spider.

I'm not a serious astronomer by any means, but I have had a close look at the night sky where the galaxy is the most visible object out there. The plane of the galaxy is parallel with the horizon in the southern hemisphere as it is descending, so we get a great view of the galactic centre where the constellation Scorpius has her tail dipping into the galactic centre while the rest of her body is upside down.

The subtly glinting irony of the figure of Scorpius must intrigue the senses in a universe where symbolic identities are seen at every turn. The teasing representation of a venomous arachnid seemingly threatening the heart of the galaxy with its thorny tail is too cute to be a coincidence, and arouses a sense of the staggeringly deep pool of time which some creatures have available to them.

With so much time at her disposal the universe could assemble herself in any number of different ways, and remake a broken world any number of times with no more contrivance than a network of strategic dreamers, and the time which they have been storing. What we see around us in the world today is but one flower on a tree of many flowers. There are others, in a dreamed reality, which are not so afflicted as the one we are familiar with, and which can be accessed by navigating the multiverse.

It seems that everyone here in this reality got hooked into it during their early childhood dreaming, and the question is how do we get back out?

The fairly conclusive proof that strategic dreamers have an ability to navigate the multiverse is the distinctly human irony on display around us, not only in the figure of Scorpius but in the figures of Italy and the British Isles. These figures are teasing us in a way which betrays their deeply human understanding of our predicament here on Earth. They are so much older than us and yet they appeal to us in a way which only we could understand.

Since these dreamers have the ability to see us as we are now, and draw the geological figures in the past, the figures prove that the dreamers involved would have to exist at multiple points along our evolutionary timeline.

One of these dreamers is undoubtedly a network of spiders which goes to show how human some of those outside the group defined by humanity can be. But the others are undoubtedly human which shows just how old the human genome really is. These human dreamers will likely be only vaguely aware of how long they've been dreaming, but they would sense the truth in the proposition that the body consists of such extensive cosmic dimensions.

Now, for those of you who may be growing weary of all this seeming insanity, let me tell you how this intrepid theory could affect you. How could I, in my somewhat disadvantaged position, help others overcome the difficulties which face us in these strange and troubling times?

An aspect of my most earnest desire on this planet concerns the most tender human sentiments which give meaning to the lives of most people, and the subject of which I share with you with much trepidation. I lived with my girlfriend for a couple of years in my early twenties, but our breakup was so painful that I determined to remain single, and have done so ever since. When the business I've been telling you about emerged in my life it wasn't long before I saw a growing ecological crisis around me. I saw, as did many others, the destruction of natural habitats, and the accumulation of mountains of rubbish and other pollutants. But I saw, as very few others seemed inclined to mention, that growing human numbers were a significant ecological factor, and so I saw an opportunity to adopt growth control as a meaningful purpose in my life. My solitude and growth control became an ideal combination for me.

And by growth control I mean birth control which is a very sensitive topic indeed.

Thanks for sharing with us @SkyView7. It sounds like the breakup was very painful for you, yet it also provided an opportunity for you to deepen your awareness and understanding of bigger global issues.

Thanks for sharing your story @SkyView7 SkyView. I to have that city/country dimension to my life.  The main difference is that I'm straddling both of them rather than enjoying the country life which I would be doing if I could.  Work and financial constraints make it necessary to stay with a foot in the city rat race.

I've also had a breakup in my 20's that I never really got over.  I've never really met anyone else I could love.  My ex went on to have children with another and that hurt me a lot.  Life is complicated and I'm missing some details out of my little yarn.

I don't remember much from my early life.  I do remember a pretty rough and tumble existence as I am the youngest by some margin and got used as a punching bag on more than one occasion.  I had a pretty care free childhood and am glad I grew up then rather than now.  1/2 the things we did back then would be outlawed or frowned upon.  We had to make our own fun and adventure rather than have it served up on the internet or computers.  I'm sure you quite a few can relate to that LOL 🙂

I love the country as it doesn't change much except for what nature dishes out.  In my little retreat it's generall the wind or rain that causes anything to happen.  It's such a peaceful existence i wish i could spend more time there.  As it is right now, i'll probably have to sell in the next few years and try and find something on the coast so I can try and take care of my parents as there primary carer.  They are self sufficient now, but, it won't last forever.

Anyway, i've rambled on enough and taken over your narrative for a little while.  I hope you are well and share some more of your musings with us.

Hi @Moonstone @Gazza75

Thanks for posting your comments. It's great to see someone commenting on my little stories, I really appreciate it.

Glad to hear that you're planning on caring for your elderly parents Gary. I was in exile in the west when my parents were of that age and my sister did much of the caring for them, for which I and my brothers are very grateful, although my parents never really appreciated the sacrifice she made for them. I hope your parents will be kinder to you. It's not an easy time from what my sister tells me.

@SkyView7My pleasure mate, its an interesting story / experience you have to relate.  

In truth, i'm kind of looking forward to taking care of my parents as best I can.  Especially my mum, i think she deserves it.  My dad and I have had some issues over the years.  I know its going to be a fair bit of work, but, they have no one else to do it for them.  My brother basically buggered himself up and ruined his life and that of his family (wife and kids).  He had everything, but, has lost it all really.  I feel for him, but, at the same time I'm pretty annoyed LOL 

I think my parents wil be fairly grateful for the support I will give them, essentially our extended family is overseas and we only have each other.  Sounds like your from a reasonably sized family 🙂

I might look at getting a place up North when the time comes.  It probably won't be for a good while, the price of houses is through the roof and my place out west isn't worth much compared to places on the coast.  I've had it for 10 years and probably won't be able to make much profit on it.  Time will tell as they say.

Hope your having a great day and this post finds you and anyone else in good spirits and health.

@Gazza75  I have two brothers and a sister and we all get on well with each other which is a real blessing

Sorry to hear house prices are disappointing where you are. I'm in a small town over the ranges and I don't follow the prices very closely but when I do have a look at them they always seem to be on the up side. And rents around here are shocking!

@SkyView7- I'm glad you get on with your siblings.  I think mine is a love/hate type relationship LOL  Mostly the former which is good.

I don't really follow the prices where my farm is, but, i'll have to keep an eye on it the next little while.  Fortunately, I'm not in a huge rush to sell it.  I still really enjoy getting out there as much as I can.  Its just a shame things didn't work out as I had hoped.  I wanted to setup an apiary, but, lost all my bee's when i moved them from the coast.  I never intended to make a lot of money from the enterprise, but, its a hobby I'd love to get back into. 

I hope to get a hive or two going with a friend this spring to at least get back into it.  I think rent and the cost of living is shocking no matter where you are these days.  Its a shame our politicians aren't more accountable and don't seem to understand the working man or womans trouble and how hard it is to make ends meet.  They all seem so out of touch with reality.  

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance