Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

flissb2607
Casual Contributor

Battling the public mental health system....

Hi all,

My sister is schizophrenic and has been psychotic for 18 months to varying degrees.

last week, I called her case manager as I was concerned about her delusions (telling me there was a man outside her house with a gun, showering with her clothes on due to cameras in the house etc]. The mental health said they had a duty of care to hospitalise her for assessment, so she was scheduled involuntary. 

Cut to just 3 days later, the hospital is wanting to release her as they deem she is not a danger to herself or the community. She wasn’t a danger last week when sectioned her, created massive distress for my sister and family and now want to release her while she is still psychotic!!!

We are fighting to keep her in hospital. Does anyone have any tips for dealing with the public system? I should point out, my sister isn’t aware she is schizophrenic so we are fighting an uphill battle all round. Thanks. 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Battling the public mental health system....

Hi @flissb2607

It is very difficult when our loved ones are not doing so well.

The doctors will be acting in accordance with the Mental Health Act of your state and there are strict guidelines as to when and how long for a patient can be kept involuntarily.  The Act can be found readily on the internet.  A patient can be detained for assessment which is different to being subject to involuntary hospital/community treatment, both have separate requirements. 

'Lack of insight' is the medical term for when a patient's condition is such that they are unaware that their behaviours are not normal and I will tag you in a talk about this; it is very common in Sz.

As a family, one of the best things you can do is learn about Sz and how best to support your loved one whilst taking care of yourselves so that you don't become overwhelmed (which is very easy to do). 

I am happy to send some links to carer support services if you let me know what state you are in

Hi Darcy.

I’m in NSW. Thanks so much for your guidance!

Hi @flissb2607

NSW health services list these organisations

https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/mentalhealth/Pages/family-mh-program.aspx

Carers Australia (who offer support as well as a number of free counseling sessions) list these supports

https://www.carersnsw.org.au/advice/services-supports/mental-health

Organisations such as One Door offer services to both carers and patients - this is a link to their page, others offer similar.

https://www.onedoor.org.au/services/carer-services

How are you going @flissb2607

Hi Darcy,

We’ve managed to keep her in hospital which is great. Still absolutely no
insight into her condition, but a definitive change in temperament due to
meds being increased.

I think I’ve lost all hope that she will one day understand she has SZ. The
best we can hope for is the current 18months of consistent psychosis to
back off.

Thanks for contacting me Darcy. I can’t believe you remembered! Means a lot.

@flissb2607

How are your stress levels going? 

Hi Darcy,

stress levels not not good but better than last week. I spoke with my GP who has given me some medication to help with anxiety and I also have a mental health plan. 

i have a fear of anger so having my sister angry at me for being the one who put her in hospital is extremely stressful for me. I don’t regret my decision and I’ll do it again if need be. My fears pale in comparison to the SZ she is dealing with. We are extremely close and me putting her in hospital is the first cross words we’ve ever said to each other in my entire life. 

in the past I’ve managed stress through excercise but right now, all I want to do is drink wine, smoke and once that’s done crawl into bed to watch endless episodes of Big Bang Theory.

thank you for asking Darcy. I truly didn’t expect that.  Those that work in mental health a such special people. 

Having healthy coping mechanisms important for us carers  @flissb2607.   Seeing a therapist can be really helpful, I have recently been able to lay a few burdens down with the help of my counselor. We are dealing with serious disorders  where our loved ones often have no insight and whose behaviours are difficult. I will tag you in a self care thread. We also.have some social.threads, dogs, cats, arts etc,   if you feel like some light hearted banter with other understanding people,  having a virtual coffee in our virtual cafe can be a good distraction.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance