Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Fragile

I love our connection too @Appleblossom   Sorry I'm a bit strapped for words this evening.  It's good that you are getting some recognition of what you went through, but $1000 sounds hugely inadequate.  

I appreciate  your academic/scientific approach to things.  I can be a bit that way at times too - I was put into pure science at school and then did some tertiary study in the biol/health science area.  Even tho' it was years ago I still find it helps me understand research studies etc.  

I agree about different ways MH problems play out in different 'demographics'.  

A shame your ex is still in denial, but good to see that you can see the role you played in his recovery.  

I spent today going through some of my writing and noticed that memory questions pop up in quite a few pieces.  This expression 'tangible and malleable' memory I heard an artist use not so long ago has really got me thinking about it and how it's effected my life. 

Also spent some time reading Bruce Pascoe's Dark Emu book - very much about a truer history of Australia pre colonisation.  Another area where perception and memory have a huge influence on current beliefs.

Hope tonight is peaceful for you and that your son does well with his music exam.

Memory issues are huge. @eth 

After my sister's death and the ones that followed in that year. I began a process of digging for positive memories. SO my situation was a little different from the therapy sessions were people were uncovering repressed memories and debates about what was the truth. I was reading Freud and various case studies and trying to understand my whole famly rather than focussing on my own particular memories.  I needed to focus on the positive in my family in order to keep parenting at all.  At the time I was also working on memorising piano works.  SO I have often been proactive with my mind.

I have had another read of this thread and am still bowled over by the support. Much appreciated. 

Last year was very difficult.  Though I have been calling this my year of fun in contrast, re-reading this thread reminded me of how extremely vulnerable I have been in the early part of this year.  I was needing to take prn to keep moving forward with my positive plans.  It has been 3 months since I needed a prn rather than since the beginning of the year.  I often have a tendency to put a postive wash over things that may deny the severity. 

dewdrops.jpgwings.jpgpeptea.jpgdeliarch.jpg

Photos and objects can represent tangible memories. @eth Heart

Someone mentioned photos were a good way of dealing with memories and grief, so I spent a few years collecting 2nd hand wooden frames and putting my favourite photos of all the people who had died on the wall.  After a few more years I framed photos which celebrated aspects of me rather than other people.  Then another re-arranging I put the grief photos in my bedroom rather than through the house ... and celebrated life more in the piano room and house. 

Hope today goes well for you.

Smiley Happy

The NDIS people still have not called re the CoS or the band details ... must be busy.

I'd be ringing them or emailing the LAC if you can, @Appleblossom   With NDIS it really does seem as if the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

Just passing through tonight, will catch up more on Thursday.  Take care.

Hey @eth
Saw you won't be around tomorrow. I'm sure you have told me at some point but I have forgotten what it is.

Whatever it is I am thinking of you my friend

@Appleblossom 🌹🌷🌷🌷

Hi @Appleblossom   I've been thinking about you the last couple of days but have had lots happening off-line.  Thankyou for your sharing about memory and how it is for you.  I wanted to reply in more detail but have lost track of what I was going to say sorry.  I'm sure it will come back to me.  Something about how in my research about types of memory lately I haven't found anything that talks about how it operates differently during and post psychosis.  I rediscovered a quote I found 2 years ago :  "Our lives may be determined less by past events than the way we remember them"  (Catherine Ann Jones, author).  Showed me how much of a theme putting together the pieces of the memory jig saw has been for quite some time.  And trying to integrate my perceptions of events with other people's insistence that the facts are different.

On top of everything else I've done over the last couple of days, I had a pretty full-on session with my psychologist wednesday which left me needing some percolation time over the next day and a half.  About all the times I've had contact with police and how they have come to be a trauma trigger for me rather than representing help and protection.  The more I spoke on the topic, the more details I remembered.  Won't detail events here, but it was never because I was a criminal.  I had never covered this topic despite many years and many psychologists.    

Hope today is a good one for you and that you have heard back from NDIS by now.  

Haven't caught up on posts since Tuesday yet so sorry if I've missed anything you've shared.  Take care Heart

@eth @Appleblossom  I don’t know if this is going to be helpful,or not, if not, best just left in the not relevant basket.

I know DIDs remember in different ways than most, but the memories are quite accurate and detailed. Being DID myself, and struggling to believe the revelations, and how I could possibly have forgotten in the first place, then realising, how could I have remembered under the circumstances.

Recently on Sunday Night a DID lady was taking her father to court because of “ memories”. The accuracy was amazing. Might not be at all relevant, but then, might be worth a think.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance