Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

GSP
Casual Contributor

HI

My wife has been suffering with BPD for what I suspect has been decades. We've been together for 27 years but it was only at the beginning of last year that she was finally diagnosed. We have had a turbulant relationship for a lot of that time; we were together for 7 years before we were married. We have 2 wonderful kids, but I know they have also suffered badly. They are both teenagers in their mid to late teens. 

There have been many chronically distressing scenarios over the years- too many to list, but I have stuck around and call me crazy, but I have always held hope that things would one day get better for he sake of my family. My wife is a beautiful, compassionate, creative and caring individual, but as the BPD has intensified, she has lost the ability to experience joy within her family and in the world which is an absolute tradgedy. 

The nature of BPD has in the past 12 months turmed our family on it's head- it has lead to job loss, family separation and self harming incidents on multiple occasions. I'm very grateful for the diagnosis as prior to that, we were really flying blind; at least the mystery is now gone.

I love my wife and cherish my family- there is so much to hold hope for, but my heart as completely broken for what has occured- I live each day with an overwhelming sadness that is all consuming. I have had many negative, destructive thoughts which I know is not good for anyone. 

My wife is thankfully now recieveing DBT treatment at a top cover therapy course. It is still early days, but I hold so much hope that it will have positive effects. In reality, I know that her treatment will be required to go on much longer than the 12 initial weeks.

There is so much I could talk about here, so so much. I hope that someone might like to engage with what I’ve talked about here. 

What I’ve found is that the more you research (and there’s plenty of material online- youtube etc) the more you realise that you are not crazy and that a lot of what has happened makes some kind of sense. 

For the partner of someone with BPD, life can be difficult and as you are regularly the target of their outbursts, it can be a hurtful existance which is really tough. I have hung on because my wife is not like that all the time- underneath as I said abobe, her beauty, compassion, creativity and general outlook on life is something that is worth putting in the work for but in honesty, my ability to keep going has been tested many, many times.

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
JB70
Senior Contributor

Re: HI

@GSP 

Hello. Your wife and my husband are so lucky to have us (pat on our backs) I have been married for 26 years and tried to cope with the devastating effects of mental illness for all of those. It does take an emotional toll and wears you down over the years that's for sure. My husband and I reached breaking point a few years ago and he had several hospital admissions at that time. Eventually he was able to find a very low dose of medication that took the edge off his illness and we were once again able to talk openly and begin to rebuild from the beginning. It really does take two people who love each other and are willing to commit to working things out. But it is a long slow and gentle process when someone is mentally fragile though. I really hope that you both get the help you need. You are not alone (although it can feel like it at times). I wish I knew about this forum years ago. I'm a newbie too 😊 

Re: HI

@GSP you have described your wife in such a beautiful way. 

Underneath everything, she still there. She's going through a difficult stage by what it sounds, but special targeted therapy can make a difference if she is ready to make changes.

I have had BPD for over 15 years. I was crippled by it, but now, after immense support from the community, and specialized MBT treatment, there has been a huge shift. I used to hate life every day. Now, I can't wait to wake up each day. I want to be able to talk to people. I want to be able to support other people. I want to be able to live a full and fulfilling life - and I do.

BPD is not a life sentence. It is an amazing journey of acceptance and discovery. Borderlines soon learn that they cannot change the environment to suit them. It is they themselves who must make changes. DBT supports changing perspectives and how we see things. It may be a 12 week course, but it takes a lifetime to practise the skills. Even my 18 months of twice weekly four hour sessions was only enough to begin the work of recovery. The rest is up to me.

@GSP , there is a lot of hope for your wife. I am firm believer of this. Some days, she may just need that extra special cuddle to know that you are there.

All the best,

BPDSurvivor

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance