Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Have been hiding in the shadows for a while

Hi @MrAlias550

You don't have to tell your workplace about a diagnosis. There's no law that stipulates that you have to do so. Telling them at work or not saying anything is a personal choice.

Personally I believe it would be better for you if you did see a doctor about the way you're feeling. This way you'll be able to access any treatment that might help you feel better. If you need a medical certificate to cover any time off work a doctor can only state that you are unfit for work from date to date. If anyone asks at work you can just say that you have a medical condition that's being treated. In no way are you obliged by law to divulge any further information.

Try to make an appointment very soon and whilst you're there ask for a Medicare Mental Health Plan so you can access a psychologist n medicare.

Take care MrA. Thinking of you 🎶

Hi @MrAlias550,

yes, I saw a doctor, then eventually a psychiatrist, when the first round of prescribed medication didn't work too well for me. 

I was seeing a psychiatrist regularly and taking medication for anxiety, panic attacks and depression and I didn't disclose this to my work. Nor did anyone at work guess that I was even sick! Smiley Tongue

There is no pressure to tell anyone at work that you have mental health problems. It is no-one else's business but yours. If you need to take sick-leave then you sick-leave certificate from your doctor will not specify the nature of your illness, as @Kurra says.

If you remain mysterious about what illness you have, people will just assume it's something no-one wants to admit to- like hemorrhoids or something!  If people are curious and you want to give them an answer, then you could always just describe some of your physical symptoms - like heart palpitations or insomnia or something like that. That's what a friend of mine did. 

Mr Alias

I have been through Doctors,psychologist,mental health and to tell the truth I.am having one of my days where I feel it was all a waste of time because my depression and hopelessness is at its peak. However it's as I have said before you are taking a risk not seeking help yet you are still debating the decision to seek help.I seeked  help because it was a lifeline to try and save my life,you are worried a diagnosis will end your career.

Just go to the doctor,if you haven't got one when you ring a surgery ask the receptionist who is good with mental health,and just take it from there.If you aren't happy with the doctor seek a second opinion,.No one in the world or workplace health is perfect, everyone's got a weakness.You know you've got something wrong but don't know what it is.I didn't know why I was getting distressed ,or couldnt get out of bed.At the time I didn't know if it was a physical or psychological problem.I left it too long to go to a doctor as I had problems for a long time in the workplace eg: feeling very tired,insommia badly,couldnt cope with workplace bullying.I didn't know the distress was anxiety or the numbness was depression.You need to know what is wrong so you have the chance to manage the condition.I didn't get help until I left the workplace .Go to the doctor and see it as a way of preventing this problem having  catastrophic consequences.I can see you are fearing what this problem may cause both private and in the workplace.Stop procrastinating.You have too much to lose you are young,married and probably want a family I imagine.Even to put a name to what is wrong at times is a relief.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance