Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Just saying hello...

Teenage boys are no better @Finding-balance. Not that I've ever been one.  lol. 

@Finding-balance Hi Finding-balance I have a confession I didn't read all the way through ... But! that is due to my mental illness I just don't have the capacity to read long passages all at once. Anyways just wanted to say 'Hi' regardless and to welcome you to the forums. greenpea 

Hi and welcome from me too @Finding-balance.  You've done well to tell your story the way you have.  I'm another one who's adult child is now 30 years old, but it seems we've had some shared experiences.  My bub was 3 months premmie (and legally blind) and we ended up in mothercraft hospital twice in their first year.  Problems with feeding and sleeping for bub and extreme post-natal depression for me.  Being there was really hard at first, but in the long run it was really beneficial for both of us.  Said child now has 2 children of their own and has had contact with PANDA and found them to be very helpful.  Maybe you've spoken to them by now.  @Former-Member can you give @Finding-balance the number to ring please.  I really hope you find some helpful resources through them.

Hi @Finding-balance

Great to see you have got some support here after sharing your story. Below I have listed the website and phone number for @PANDA - you should find some great resources and you can contact them too for some referrals. 😊 Thanks for highlighting @eth

https://www.panda.org.au/ and 1300 726 306

I hope you can chat with us more in the future too @Finding-balance

Having children is the hardest job in the world ever - and yet each new generation starts it all again and in the past young mothers had more family support than is often the case now.

As they say - it takes a village

There are a lot of mothers here some of whom have already responded - and some who are not mothers too - and I really think that when my mother chatted to her neighbours over the back fence or out in the street she had support she never realised she had - also her mother lived with us - which was probably the greatest support anyone can have

Now we do it alone and it is hard yards - I found it isolating when my children were babies - the boy had problems I already mentioned and the second child was premature and failed to thrive for some time - and motherhood was not what it thought it would be and when the children overcame those earliest years I got out of the house and involved in other things but I still found it really hard making choices and setting up rules for other people who were very young and naturally had their own ideas

So here you can share all those things safely - I wish you the best and hope you can join in here more - there are the social sites that @outlander mentioned

I'm glad to have met you and hope to chat againt soon

Dec

Re bringing up babies Ok was 1960s .. My mother had Dr Spock, colic water, group called mothers and babies (I think) run by a nurse oh and ‘child endowment ‘ guess you remember those @Owlunar

My "bringing up the yojng kids" time was in the 70s @TAB and I remember Dr Spock.

I read all his books from cover to cover - fantastic stuff - he might have been right or wrong but he was always there - 

It was different in the 70s - and different in the 80s - and always a challenge -  and no one warned me about the difficulties - 

What fun it was Tabby Cat - I would not want to do that all over again

Dec

Thanks everyone,
I'll certainly chat more in the other sites.

For anyone who wondered, I called PANDA, they really only deal with parents of children up to 12 months but were still lovely and will email me if there's any support groups in my area. They also suggested another helpline called parentline.

@Owlunar you made me smile when you talked about your mum chatting over the fence. It made me think of when I was very young and my nana used to chat to everyone over the fence. Everyone on the block seemed to know each other, I think a lot of them had been there since my mum was a kid. It would be nice if we still had that these days, instead we build higher fences to keep everyone out. It always makes me a little sad that the next generation won't have any connection to those simpler times, they are some of the memories that make me happiest. (Or it could just be that they include my nana who is long gone but was special enough to name my daughter after) 😊

Thanks for the message @Finding-balance - it's always good to know our memories can make people smile

When you are ready to post on some of the social threads please tag me so I can join in thereSmiley Happy

Dec

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance