Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Whiteknight
Senior Contributor

Life, it's glory and its sadness

Yesterday my wife and I was driving home in the countryside and came across an injured Rosella. It's mate had passed on but this little fellow was in shock but physically ok. We delivered him to a local wild life lady for care then drove the 5 kms left to home. When we arrived we found our two wild ducks had had 8 ducklings. Tiny little fritters they were.

And so since then I've been pondering this two extremes. How life balances out eventually, in its own way. Many of us get detached from this part of life, the hussle and bussle seems to detach us from those two extremes. That isnt a bad thing, its best to live our lives from day to day as stable and happy as can be, for there will be plenty of sad days to come with family trauma so why waste our good times?

What has been difficult for me over the years, if I can share with you, is the humanisation of our lives. The twentieth century syndrome is a state whereby one becomes adverse to anything "modern"...traffic lights, concrete, technology...basically things that are beyond the primitive cave. That syndrome can be debilitating as the sufferer struggles to fit in with others that do fit in. I havent got that condition but, I am sure I have some level of it as my stress level seem to rise with the simple of tasks like driving through the city even straight through on a freeway. Hence my country living.

Another stress is people. I told the story a while ago of a local council sub-committee that I had to go through with an application for a park building/bbq area. That sub committee put up many road blocks to attempt to stop the project. Why? because they didn't think of the project themselves first. That led me to apply directly to council and they approved the project with funds allocated- terrific. But my taste buds for local groups and minor politics burned me out and I simply will never try to do a community project again.

I don't know if goodwill has gone away or it never was around anyway. The old fashioned bartering and helping thy neighbour that was a  way of life 100 years ago is now not there, replaced by spite and factions. People no longer need each other anymore. If they don't need you then they are unlikely to reach out to you in time of need. It all sounds rather sinister, my views, but I've learned that semi hibernation is not a bad thing but an insurance on my happiness. Be outgoing, talkative and friendly and you wont last long in this world of the knocker, the bullying gang warfare that floods every town.

Then I watch out our window to our dam and revel in the little fritters swimming with mother duck while father duck remains alert. Then I realise I'm happier in the world I created myself....semi detached, semi hidden, friendly for a minute or so...then solitude.

I've found a happy life carve out of determination of seeking the right mix of life and humans....

AMONG THE MASSES

They follow they do, anyone but you

And some look up to "the man"

The one with the badges from all over the town

But it doesnt mean he'll understand

To see a smiling face on a grey haired guy

As you see him passing by

You think he'd be so honorable and good

but what secrets does he hide?

Even Cosby , our psuedo dad of the masses

Hid his secrets and evil will

And now he's exposed his reputation hosed

We no longer call him "Bill"

Careful who you trust

It's our own honour and honesty that matters

Fill your life with all things nice

And limit your presence among the masses...

WK

1 REPLY 1

Re: Life, it's glory and its sadness

Hi @Whiteknight

You contrast well the glory vs. sadness of life. A very thought-provoking poem as well. Did you write that yourself?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance