Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Revs
Contributor

Mum with schizoeffective is lonely

My mum has schizoeffective and has been up and down for the last 2 years. Prior to that she had a job and was well for about 10 years. Im 26, work full time and spend my mornings before work, my lunch break and then after work with mum just to keep her well and talk her out of feeling paranoid or depressed. We've been playing around with her meds with the psychiatrist but just can't seem to get them right. She has good days and bad. She loves being surrounded by people and gets very lonely, so basically I am trying to find her some hobbies / something to do although she's very picky with what I offer. I've tried ermha and each but to no avail. I find them confusing or they have too long waiting lists etc. I'm at my whitts end ! I can't do much more for her while I work full time. Hoping someone has some suggestions on support groups or ideas for things she can do or things that have worked for others! Thank you 🙂

23 REPLIES 23

Re: Mum with schizoeffective is lonely

Hi @Revs
Not sure what state you are in but there are supports available through Grow & Wellways to name a couple. Carers Australia might also be able to direct you to supports in your area. Am happy to give some links if you give a rough idea of where you live.

Hey @Revs
How are you going?/

Hi @Revs

I hope this post finds you well. What a wonderful daughter you are being so dedicated and caring towards your mother. Very special indeed. Truly you are doing your best and this all you can do. Please take comfort from this knowledge and feel rightfully proud.

There a few things your mum can do. Mental health support groups such as Grow, already mentioned by @Former-Member, is a good place for your mum to receive mental health support but also a good place to mingle as they conduct social activities as well. 

Is your mum well enough to volunteer for a few hours to a day etc each week? This would also enable your mum to connect with others and give more meaning to her life making it more fulfilling. 

I believe there are also drop in centres for those who suffer mental illness. That may also be good for your mum and worth investigating in your area. Wishing you both all the best 

Thanks so much for your replys @Former-Member and @Former-Member
We are located in south east Melbourne. Mum has been good the last week but it's scary how quickly things can change / something can trigger her. During times when she has been sick she has lost friendships which is hard as she is such a people person. Most of them would understand if she just explained but she worries that it's too late. I have looked up some neighborhood centers with activitys / groups and she is keen to check those out. Things are ok ATM but as I said for the last 2 years she's been up and down like a yoyo:(

Also sorry she volunteered for 8 years, she isn't sure that's what she wants to do anymore. She was very good at the role she had but felt she needed a change @Former-Member thanks for your kind words I love her very much and she is a beautiful person just with an awful illness

@Revs

Here are a few links - most will pop up in the carer link as that is how I bookmarked them but you should find the patient support knfo there too (important for us as carers to get support too)

Wellways operates in Qld, NSW, Vic & Tas and offer support and education to carers (as well as patients)

https://www.wellways.org/our-services

The Alfred Hospital support carers and patients living in the ten local government areas of Port Phillip, Stonnington, Glen Eira, Bayside, Kingston, Greater Dandenong, Casey, Cardinia, Frankston and Mornington Peninsula.

http://www.carersouth.org.au/support-when-you-care-for/caring-for-a-person-with-a-mental-illness/

Grow have carer and patient support groups on mainland, you will need to ring for locations.

http://www.grow.org.au/carer-program/

@Revs
I am afraid I do stick to the practical but well understand just how draining it is.

Thanks @Former-Member I will look into those although she isn't being as cooperative ATM. Mum has had another set back. 😞

@Revs
Have you got some on ground support yourself? I found that doing it on my own was so hard and I really valued the input from my Wellways carer support person.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance