Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Sbs
New Contributor

My brother has paranoid schizophrenia and I’m terrified

Hi everyone, my brother has paranoid schizophrenia and I’m terrified for myself, my family and my brother. He isn’t dangerous to us, he actually tries to protect us. These voices he hears tell him to do horrible things and after a while of not complying the voices started telling him that they were going to murder him and also his family. He is so paranoid that he has made my parents install cameras, gate the windows and even buy security doors. He has blocked up the windows that are ground level with wooden planks. I don’t even know where to begin. He has admitted to trying to commit suicide because the voices told him to do it but thankfully hasn’t gone through with it. He’s been to a psych hospital a total of 3 times and begged my parents to take him out. He tells the doctors he doesn’t hear them anymore and that he’s fine. He is in denial of having this illness and thinks the devils are in his body. The voices he hears are people he actually knows in real life. I don’t know what to expect from someone with schizophrenia. There are times he laughs to himself or we see him crying, we haven’t seen any anger towards us but because my father reminds him that it’s an illness he started saying the devil has also entered my fathers body to make sure my brother is “slowed down” from revealing the truth about these “devils”. He tells us everything the voices say and to be completely honest I’m terrified. I try to put myself in his shoes but I can’t begin to imagine what he’s going through. We tell him that nobody will hurt him and we will protect him. He agrees that they won’t come and then 5 minutes later he’s looking around the house to close off another entrance that they tell him they are going to go through to make sure they murder him. What do I do to help him? Should I be scared? Would I be hurting my brother even more by telling his doctors he’s lying about not hearing voices? Also he refuses to go to another inpatient facility but does go to a psych and takes his medication and also monthly injection. He’s been on his medicine for 7 months now and there isn’t any improvement. 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: My brother has paranoid schizophrenia and I’m terrified

@Sbs Hi Sbs and welcome to the forums. I appreciate this is a very hard position that you are in being the brother not the parent. You do not give us any ages but I am guessing that you are the younger and that your brother is now legally an adult (which makes things even harder). Firstly, if you haven't already, I would address your concerns with your parents, they need to hear your voice. You are their son and he is your brother and I see that you are still living in the same house so you have the right to have your concerns adressed.

I believe your brother needs a psychiatrist to look at his medications. Does he see a psychiatrist as well as the psychologist? Both are important in making your brother well again. However, it sounds as though it will be difficult to get your brother to take that first step in getting the help that he needs. You brother sounds manic to me and honstly needs help straight away.

I have a son with schizophrenia and other problems and I also have bipolar 1 and schizo and when manic thought there were cameras in the walks of our house, in the computers and the car dashboard.... speak honestly with your parents .... you should not be living in your house afraid. Take care greenpea

Hi @Sbs I'm not sure what you can do about this problem you are faced with...
My current diagnosis is paranoid schizophrenia, but i tend to think it's a condition that varies in nature & severity, and changes over time... it's like saying, all cars are painted, but not all cars are painted the same colour...
I've been treated with the 28 day depot medicine, and it's taken care of my condition, and on the contrary, created other problems, and now my life is about dealing with the problems all people are faced with.
I've found a combination of psychiatry and psychology + ongoing maintenance treatment has worked well for myself. + psycho social rehab, supported accommodation and any support available.
You've got to consider... that even a best case scenario will be very difficult for the subject to deal with everyday... -from my experience...

Hi I know how you are feeling about your brother,I have a son with the same illness and he is living in denial with his paranoid schizophrenia.Im like you trying to get help as well.

@Pix wrote:

Hi I know how you are feeling about your brother,I have a son with the same illness and he is living in denial with his paranoid schizophrenia.Im like you trying to get help as well.

What are your options so far in getting him help and getting him to snap back into reality? My brother strongly believes there’s nothing wrong him mentally. My brother has even started calling the police from his paranoia. 2/3 times a week, at night & around midnight. Makes my family double and triple check all the windows and doors that are already either gated up or bolted down to avoid “the people coming after him” from getting in. It’s terrifying to even think what he’s going through. I can’t imagine myself going on in life living what that type of fear on a daily basis. He’s much stronger than I am for sure. We just can’t get him to accept that it’s a mental illness. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance