Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

confusedbpd
Contributor

Newbie looking for support

Hi, please forgive any spelling errors along the way. Since the age if 10 I have felt different never really fitted in, or my emotions have been pretty full on. I haven't been diagnosed but from read post I feel like I'm reading my life story. I struggled to make friends when I was young probably to clinging. Now at the age of 45 still don't fit in, I feel that at work I'm the loner that everyone things is different. Which effect me in my confidence and other way. At times I just want to scream and cry

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Newbie looking for support

I am in the same boat. You are not alone.

Thank you 

hi @confusedbpd and welcome

can i ask if you have some supports in place that you could talk to as well? i have been diagnosed with bpd and im happy to talk to you if that would help.
i dont feel like i fit in either, i struggle with friendships and relationships in general so im often the loner everywhere i go too.

also if you put an @ symbol in front of the members name itll tag them for you so we get a notifcation.

@outlander  At this stage, I don't have supports in place. I am going to my GP's soon. I haven't been diagnosed as such at this stage, but due to past trauma in my childhood and actually understanding that I seem to be the one never to fit in, as well as other things that have happened along my journey in life. Have had to admit to myself that I need to work with someone to manage my extreme emotions 

hi @confusedbpd welcome to the forums Cat Happy

I'm in my mid forties too but I'm unemployed & have been for 7 years due to my mental illness. So at least you have a job, that's a big plus.

I found medication helped with my extreme emotions, I suffer from rage and very strong impulses to burn bridges when I feel invalidated or offended. which is the last thing I need as I am very lonely & can't afford to burn bridges.

Hopefully your GP can refer you to some useful supports and you can try some different treatment methods & find something that works for you.

I have worked really hard for the past 2 years to establish and maintain a group of friends and bonds with family. It has been extremely hard work and problems still come up with my relationships but my life is now so much better that I have friends and family, I fit in more & have people who care about me. If I can do it I'm sure you can too as I was the most isolated person I ever met. It just takes trial & error and a lot of hard work.

I'm sure things will improve for you in the future.

@BryanaCamp I have burnt many bridges over the years with friends and not have many family members in my life. 

I do struggle to keep working part-time is best for me as I can feel the rage build up and my inner voice tells me to stay calm. Not an easy task at all. I do take medication for depression but I really do hope there are other options out there for me. 

U am glad to hear that you have been able to build relationships with family and friends 

hi @confusedbpd
thats ok and im glad that youll be seeing your gp. Trauma in general can make life very hard as well. You could perhaps take a look into PTSD as well, quite a few bpd traits are similar to those of ptsd as well.
well done on admitting and allowing yourself to get some help with your mental health, i know that can be quite a challange in itself

@outlander I have read up on ptsd, but am still convinced with the things I have done over the years and the way I perceive things bpd fits. 

I woul also think it runs in my family as I can see similarities with others from my past and all find it very easy to cut people out of our lives. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance