Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Bear25
Contributor

Pannic Attacks

Yesterday I was told that I was unsucessful in gaining a role in the restructure happening in the company I work for. I have now offically entered a 4 week 'redeployment faise'. Since I was told I can't stop shaking and I can't stop the tears... even while writing this. I feel like being sick and am barley able to function. I have a workplace injury that limits what I can do with the company and also depression and anxiety. I'm terrified!!! I am being pro active and applying for jobs everywhere and I really am trying... but just as I start to settle the pannic comes back and hits me in the face. I am so scared of letting my family down and the worry about money is a real one. Im having chest pain - which I know is associated to this stress - but it is scary. Everyone keeps telling me it is a 'journey' and you will get through it... I hate that freaking word! It might be a 'journey' but right now I don't see it that way... I have no possiblity of focusing on the possitives, because right now I feel used up and see no possitives. I don't know how I am going to get through this, how do you look for work when you can't stop shaking and crying? I feel like Im having a breakdown, and whats worse - I am f*&ing great at my job!! How do I calm down????

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Pannic Attacks

Hi @Bear25 ,

I'm really sorry you are going through all this.  I do understand a little about the pressures and stress this can cause.  I've been through a restructure recently and found it very worrying and traumatic.  

The only thing I can suggest is to take some very long, deep and slow breaths.  Try and breathe in and out nice and slowly to try and calm yourself.  In through your nose and out through your mouth if you can.

Can you take a short walk and get some fresh and sunshine.  Even sitting outside if theres a little bit of sun might help.

Thinking of you, take care 🙂 Heart

@Bear25
Hello- I randomly came across something on FB yesterday that might help you- it is called "WISE employment " & it says "helping people with mental illness find work " free services- I don't know if it's a real thing or not? But it's worth checking out! Hopefully it is real- I completely understand how you feel- I am in the exact same situation with looking for a house to rent & my anxiety & Agorophobia & CPTSD & depression - I don't know how I am going to even get to viewings & appear ok let alone get choosen to be the lucky person to rent the house -& I desperately need to move- it is very scary & I feel literally trapped which feeds into my fear & makes the whole situation even worse- I can't see a way out at this stage- hopefully this site can help you- take care 💖

hello and hugs @Serenity1 , @Bear25  @Gazza75 

Hi again @Bear25 ,

there is a thread called coping box which you might find helpful.  Not sure if you have seen it, but, I think there is some helpful things in it.

https://saneforums.org/t5/Looking-after-ourselves/Coping-Box/m-p/20101#M949

@Shaz51 @Gazza75 @Serenity1 Thanks for your support. I wish I could say today was easier, but the pannic is coming in waves. I'm holding my body so stiff I hurt all over. The counselor I have been talking to says it's normal. But it feels so far from normal. I feel like Ive failed my family and part of my identity has been ripped away. My self confidence was never great, but now it feels non existant. I have some great people in my corner at work, which is amazing - but it doesn't get me a job that I desperatly need. I honestly never imagined being in this position of looking for work again. This is a huge company and I thought, yep this is it... I'm set and I was for 12 years and 8 months.... thats a long time between interviews! I'm permenatly disabled - have sever depression and anxiety all of which I have been able to manage with this job. It shouldn't suprise me that none of this matters in the multi million dollar companies - but they sprout on about work life balance and looking after their people and then when it doesn't suit they so easily forget all of that.  All I see in the mirror at the moment is someone who has failed - I think it's really hitting me so hard because I honestly loved my job and I out my heart and soul into it... and for it to get thrown back in your face - really hurts! 

I know I am rambling and I am sorry - but I feel like this is a safe place to do so, so thank you for hearing me out! Heart

no need to be sorry @Bear25 HeartHeart

talking about things is very good and we are here for you anytime

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance