Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Phoenix80
Contributor

Schizophrenia

Hi all. I have schizophrenia and am medicated but still hear voices all the time. Would love to connect with anyone who has schizophrenia and how they cope with the illness.

20 REPLIES 20

Re: Schizophrenia

Hi 👋🏻 and welcome to the forums @Phoenix80 😊

I don’t have schizophrenia but wanted to welcome you. There are lots of members who hear voices and hopefully someone will reply soon with similar experiences. I’m going to tag @greenpea , @Queenie@Eden1919  who may or may not be around at the moment to respond. 

If you put the @ symbol in front of someone’s name they will be notified of your post. It helps as you become familiar with the forum. 

Best wishes. 

@Phoenix80  Hi Phoenix80 and welcome to the forum. Thank you @Teej  for tagging me I am always ready to welcome a new formite to the board particularly those who hear voices. I have schizoaffective disorder and my son2 has schizophrenia plus other disorders. I am currently medicated and so is son2. I hear whispers still. Most of the time it is quiet but sometimes I hear the voice trying to break out of his medically imposed cage.

My son2 hears voices all the time. Plus he has major delusions.

I try to distract myself with music and being online particularly on the forum. I also aim to get fitter this year so am eating well and walking most days. This all helps. 

Great meeting you and looking forward to talking more. Yur friend greenpeax

@Phoenix80  Hello and hello @greenpea @Teej  

i also have schizoaffective disorder it can be very lonely at times. I hope you find people to connect with here I will be on less than usual for a while due to fire conditions but will try and reply when I am on if you tag me. 

@Eden1919 Hi Eden1919 thinking of you. Be safe. Love peax

Thanks so much for the warm welcome it means alot.

Thanks for the friendly reply and sharing your history with me and that of your son. I look forward to getting to know you too. I finally have a good psychologist that deals in schizophrenia. Hopefully between that and this forum things might improve. It is very hard to deal with at times especially when it comes to hurting others. I am so scared I might hurt someone someday as my Uncle did who has schizophrenia too.

@Phoenix80  Hi Phoenix80 you are doing everything right you have a good psychologist and are talking about your feelings and worries. Keep the mind active and distracted as much as possible. That I believe is the answer to dealing with schizophrenia plus leading a good healthy lifestyle. 

I should have mentioned this before but if you want to talk with someone specifically put a @infront of their name like I did for you it will send them a notification of your post. greenpeax:) 

Hello @Phoenix80

Smiley Happy

Welcome to the forum.  Each person is unique even if there re few labels that categorise certain aspects of mental ill health.  I have felt the dreadful sense of compulsion that come with others in the family suffering severe ill mental health, but I hope things are improving both generally in the treatments and services available and in your own circumstances.

Stay Safe and Stay as well as possible.

Smiley Happy

Hey @Phoenix80 I have diagnosis which hovers between schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder (according to my last admission I have paranoid schizophrenia). I used to until recently hear voices all the time and really struggled with paranoia which really impacted with my life. Nowdays I don't hear any voices (I thought I was hearing muffled breakthrough voices just after I came home from December's hospital stay and it turns out it was the neighbours talking next door LOL). I still have problems with paranoid thoughts (and getting carried away with them) however. 

I am resigned to the fact that I will probably have to take medication long term to keep my voices at bay and my paranoia under control. Thankfully fixed delusions I once held (including believing I lived the life of a celebrity socialite, which is in itself laughable if you ever met me), have now faded away.

I just wanted to let you know that it is possible to live with the illness. It can be baffling and bewildering and downright frightening at times, but you can still live with it. I see a great psychologist for therapy, a psychiatrist who's known me for just about forever and I have the support of a support worker (who also happens to hold a psychology degree and is very knowlegable). I am lucky I guess, although it has been a long journey.

Glad to meet you Phoenix80 and have you here on the forums. I wish you well on your recovery journey. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance