Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Whiteknight
Senior Contributor

Sleep

Psychiatrists have repeatedly told me to get 8 hours minimum sleep daily. So several years ago I underwent a sleep study. This involved an overnight stay in a major Melbourne hospital with several wires stuck on my chest and head.

The result was medium sleep apnea. This meant that I stopped breathing every few minutes while asleep.

I recall vividly my father falling to sleep in his lounge chair. Every now and then he'd stop breathing for about 15 seconds then gasp for air. He passed at a young 64yo and apnea can lower your lifespan a lot!

So doctor directed a cpap machine to force regular breathing to avoid oxygen starvation. You get used to it over time. A suggestion- if you go camping buy the 12v/240v model. These machine cost around the $1000 mark.

With mental illness we have to eliminate all factors that have a poor effect on our well being like a bad diet and lack of exercise. Ensuring good sound sleep is as important.

Sweet dreams WK

5 REPLIES 5
Starta
Senior Contributor

Re: Sleep

Hello @Whiteknight.

Sleepings good, I like to sleep, and I can sleep when meditation has worked. I eat healthy, walk daily, keep busy, even tough  all this physical work will tire out my body..My mind is constantly thinking up thoughts to keep me awake..

When I do get around 8 hours of sleep, which is rare I do feel so much better both physically and mentally.. When I get my average of around 4-5 hours per night, I'm feeling more depressed and not really ready to face the day..

Starta 

Whiteknight
Senior Contributor

@Starta
I can relate to that feeling. When I worked and woke at 3am, I had to have two things- a hot shower stimulated me and take a coffee in the car. I had one of those large cups you plug into 12 volt to keep it warm.
In the 1990's I worked 12 hour shift work. I was a walking zombie.

Racing thoughts keeping you awake Starta reminds me of when my mania was higher than it is now.

WK
BlueBay
Senior Contributor

Hey @Whiteknight
If I don't get 8-9 hours sleep a night I can't function. Snd then I get emotional cranky and overwhelmed. I need my sleep. It really affects my mental health.

I tend to sleep too much @Whiteknight. My medication is very sedating. I've tried going on a lower dose, so I am not so groggy all the time, but symptoms return soon after. Therefore I am zombified and sleep up to 16hrs a day on the days I am not at college.

It's a hard balance really to find a happy medium.

Whiteknight
Senior Contributor

@Queenie I've been heavily meficated and its no joke. I had to drive 500km a day so forced to stop ebery 20 minutes at times as my head was dropping.
In my case then, I'd been falsely diagnosed hence wrong medication...for 6 years!. That was dangerous and a horrid feeling
The real problem when zonked out its like massive fatigue. No amount of splashing water on your face, walkimg around the car or chewing lollies helps.
It also means no amount of motivation you have makes any difference.
I can only suggest you ask for a review of your medication Queenie.

WK
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance