Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Kasey13
Contributor

Supporting Adult daughter

Hi. I've been following the Carers Forum for a while and it is very helpful. I'd like to thank everyone who contributes for the great information and support. This is my first post.

I have an adult daughter in her late thirties, who has been diagnosed with Schizophrenia for about 20 years. Up until very recently we thought she was doing very well at managing her illness and had seemed well for more than a decade. She lives independetly but near our home. However, in the past few months she has lapsed  into a psychosis mainly due to using drugs. This was a real shock to me and the rest of the family. 

She and I are very close and I (along with the rest of our large family) have been doing everything in our power to support her, all her life, and especially since her diagnosis. 

Since this latest episode started she has veered randomly between being very angry with me and then returning something approaching her "normal" affectionate self. For instance, she sends me angry texts telling me that I refused to care for her when she became unwell (which is not true). Can anyone tell me if they've had similar experiences? And if so, how best to handle it please.

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Supporting Adult daughter

@Kasey13  Hi Kasey13 and welcome to the forums :). What you say is very common. My son with autism and schizophrenia as well as other problems will come out with things that never happened. I think it is part and parcel of the mi. I also have schizoaffective disorder and know my memory has been comprised due to the illness. I wouldnt feel too concerned. I would be more worried about her drug use. Is there anyway you could encourage her to see her trusted gp? As you know self medication through drugs is not a good mix. Wishing you and your daughter the best. peax

Hi greenpea

Thanks so much for replying to me. You are so right, my daughter's drug use is the main concern at the moment. I have taken her to our GP and she's also seeing a psychiatrist. We've dealt with a many issues around her illness over the years. It's just that this is the first time this level of aggression has been directed at me and I feel I need to know how best to manage it, for her sake as well as my own sanity, not to mention the effect it's having on others in the family.

Thanks again for your support and I wish you and your family all the best too.

hello @Kasey13 

how are you and your daughter today Heart

@greenpea 

Hi Shaz51

Thanks for asking. I'm not too bad, although very sad and perplexed as to what to do. I don't really know how my daughter is as she has blocked all communication with me and seems very angry with me for reasons I don't understand.

ohhh hugs @Kasey13 , that does makes it hard , sorry

thinking of you xx

Hi @Kasey13 

Sorry to hear what you are going through.

My beautiful daughter who has Schizoaffective Condition becomes very irritable and angry with me as she starts to have an episode.

When she is well, she is loving, caring and has such empathy.

As she starts to become unwell she turns on me and blames me for everything and accuse me of not helping her.

I now know that when she is like this it is not her but the MI talking.

We are currently going through an episode with her and I think I am just going to ride it out. 

Big Hugs

Hi @Mon0497 

Thanks so much for your message. It's very comforting to have the fact that it's our children's MI that's saying these hurtful and incorrect things reinforced. I'm sorry that you are going through this too and wish you all the best in riding it out. I hope your daughter will return to herself soon. Hugs back to you.

Ohhh hugs @Kasey13 , @Mon0497 , @greenpea HeartHeart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance