Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

kristin
Senior Contributor

What can we learn from this Australian of the Year?

Hi all,

I just found this from the ABC and felt I should share it. I think she is a remarkable and inspiring woman, and has some good suggestions (by way of describing her own experiences and what has helped her keep going).

*BTW this might be a bit triggering for some, even though she doesn't talk about any details. I mention this because I know personally I was unable to engage with much news about her son's death for a long time because I found the very idea traumatising.*

I think none of us are looking to be Aus of the Year, but I believe we share much of her strength in persisting and trying to find what we CAN do. I think it's also important to notice what is a significant difference here for so many of us - she did not grow up with violence, but even so she had to work very hard at trying to manage a domestic violence situation. Even so she has had to work on finding a way forward after her son's horrific death.

Kindest regards,

Kristin

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance