Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Namaste
New Contributor

Hi there. I am a new member and I have never been a member of a mental health support group before. I have struggled with my mental health all my life but my worst bout of depression started 2 years ago. I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and taken off antidepressants to go on to bipolar medication. That's when the trouble really started. Many different diagnoses and medications later, 3 hospitalisations in psychiatric facilities, self harm and the whole catastrophe. Two years later I am treading water. I have tried many different things, yoga, walking, integrative medicine, meditation, diet, well you get the idea.  I really want something to change so that I might feel a bit better. So I keep trying, I keep changing things and maybe I will luck onto something that helps.  My social anxiety is quite bad now and I have to say that I once would have been viewed as the most confident person in the room.  Amateur theatre, dance, teaching, sport, you name it I was into it.  I think that's what I miss the most.  Depression has robbed me of myself, what I hold dear and the best part of me.  I miss my life and the person I was.  I think even if I can find a way out of this that I won't be the same person.  Well, that person had lots of negative qualities as well, compulsive shopping, impulse control behaviours, stealing. I don't miss those things that's for sure.  But I miss me, the essence of me and my bright, happy personality.  I wonder if others feel this way and how they have learned to live with it or have overcome it.  Do they feel like their old selves again or are they forever altered? I am trying to reduce my dose of antidepressants at the moment. That's my latest thing. Maybe that will make me feel a bit better! So far it has not helped much, in fact my anxiety is worse and it is supposed to be helping that.  I haven't been able to sleep without medication for 2 years. I take a very low dose of an antipsychotic at night but it is not restful sleep and I always wake at around 4.30am. I miss being able to sleep naturally the most I think, I used to love napping.  I probably slept too much before. Also a sign of depression! Do you know I feel like I've lost my sense of humour? I still have a bit of it but it feels almost foreign now. I always loved a good laugh. Yep, miss that too. Sorry to be so negative but hey I'm depressed!  I have a wonderful husband and two boys, one is 17 and the other 20. They are my life at the moment.  And my mum and dad, I spend a lot of time hanging out with them.. They have more of a life than me and they are elderly (they don't think of themselves that way). Does anyone have any advice on lowering your antidepressant dose? The Pdoc just says to come off it relatively quickly but he has no idea what it is like.  The withdrawal is horrendus.  Also tips on sleep or relaxation. I need to read some discussions, there is probably stuff already there.  Well that's me, it is a bit exhausting telling your story as it brings it back. I hope I can get some benefit from this group and maybe help somebody as well. That would be worthwhile, because being depressed makes you feel useless. Still hanging in there.

2 REPLIES 2
nashy
Senior Contributor

Re: newbie

Hey there @Namaste  thank you so much for sharing your story. I am glad to hear your family proves a good support network, and also want to give you massive props for your determined and reslient approach. Yoga and all of those journey's are an important part of the process of recovery and reflection, despite everything you are still journeying toward yourself, still open to learning Heart

Just a heads up the forum members wont be able to provide specific insight on lowering medication dosage due to our community guidelines, but they can relate to your lived experience of the process, and focus on the feeling with you.

Definitely chat to your GP about weaning off meds, and if you need a second opinion from another Doctor that is also an option 🙂 In addition to our great peer support community there's also our sane help centre which you can phone on 1800 187 263. In terms of your depression, what are some things outside your family where you find some relief? Or a breather from the feeling of heaviness?

We're here to listen Heart

Sturgeon
Senior Contributor

Re: newbie

Hi @Namaste, yes you took a good step in opening self / joining here even though much effort _ I'm fairly new & it's been worth every heartbeat SO I BID YOU A WELCOME 🙋 💓 being a part of this community may help the fragmented self be renewed with better & stronger glue! 😏 Sturgeon
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance