Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: problems with grandmother

@AACC

Each state has an older persons mental health team. It might be an idea for your mum to enquire about this service. The Sane team might know a bit more how they operate, I think they all have a help line.

It is a good idea to document factually the incidents and Gran's cleaning obsession. Perhaps you could see the GP on your own and explain the situation and how concerned you are and give them examples of what is happening especially around the cleaning and the things she is saying. Here is a talk that explains a good way of doing this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=NRO0-JXuFMY

Carers Australia might be a good resource for your family to access. They provide counselling for carers but should also be able to help with resources available for older patients including respite options and how to navigate "my aged care".

Darcy

Hey guys ... I just need to vent today 

Yesterday we had a family meeting here in my house and like I was expecting It didn´t go well ... so , when my aunt, uncle and some cousins arrived, me and my mom weren´t home because we were getting some food... while we were out my grandmother told EVERYONE about the fight  my parents had with her on saturday (she just forgot to tell them that she was the one who started It) ... she said that my dad was about to hit her ((which is not true because even though my dad says that my grandmother can turn even the most quiet person in the world into a beast in a matter of seconds , he also says that he wouldn´t hit her because : 1- he still has some respect for her even though she doesn´t have any for her own family and 2- that he doesn´t want to get in trouble)) , that everything in this house belongs to her , that my grandfather left a lot of money when he died, that my parents are mean to her , that everyone hates her ...  she basically told everyone about our private life , things about money that she isn´t supposed to tell, because I know that deep down some of my family members like to gossip. She now tells everyone she meets things that are private and that we´d like to keep private because If things stay like this in little to no time the whole town will know what we usually eat for breakfast or what we watch on tv on the evenings. She is also obssessed with money , all she does is talk about money, money this , money that , at this point money is more important to her than health and her family...if she could she would throw us away from our own house so that she could laugh and say that she won.

Also, today my mom told me that my grandmother was asking her for some papers and when my mom said that she didn´t have them for the simple reason that they never existed , my grandma freaked out and started yelling at my mom that she would look for those papers in every corner of this house , whether she likes It or not. My mom said that she already called the psychiatrist to tell her about my grandmother behaviour but she said that she was busy and would talk to my mom later.

We don´t want her in this house anymore , she needs to go back to her old house because we´ve had enough of this , we can´t take It anymore, everyday is another day of feeling like crap, I don´t consider her to be my grandmother anymore, she talks like she hates me and my brother... the only problem is that we think she won´t want to go...

I don´t even know what to do anymore, I feel very sad and unhappy with life

Hello @AACC 

I have been thinking of you and wondering if you are ok my friend

sending you tender hugs and hope to hear from you soon HeartHeart

Hey there! Thank you for the hugs, I really need It 😞
Well, things are not going well, everything is still pretty much the same... My grandmother and my father do not get along, they just avoid talking to each other and looking at each other and my father is always stressed out because of the things my grandma has been telling about him... He is so nervous and angry that he just punches things, doesn't sit at the table with us for dinner, talks angrily about my grandmother, is always going out and he also doesn't pick up the phone when he does go out ... It gets tiring, honestly, I'm so depressed, I just want to run away and never come back again.
This house feels like hell, I prefer to be at school than to be here.

Sorry to hear things are not going well @AACC

I am feeling so much for you , have you got any respite or support to help you Heart

@Lunar, @Amour_Et_Psyché, @Scout, @Former-Member, @Faith-and-Hope, @Determined

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance