Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Lolo11
New Contributor

Emotional and financial abuse of parent/carer

• How do I help a friend whose adult child is abusing her emotionally and financially? I have managed to extricate myself from a manipulative and unsafe daughter, but my friend is truly trapped in her relationship and needs help and support. Both daughters have been assessed as schistophrenic by medical professionals.
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Emotional and financial abuse of parent/carer

Hi @Lolo11 

Sounds like you're a really caring friend. I'm glad your situation has improved but can understand your concern for your friend. While your friend has to ultimately work things out for themselves you could offer resources to them that might be helpful. Such as educational resources or support services that might be of use to them. What do you think?

Warmest wishes

Hanami

Hey @Lolo11 ,

You have some very valid concerns there. Have you heard of Elder Abuse?

This is taken very seriously. If you feel someone is taking advantage of an elderly person, contact this hotline and they will be able to give you some advice: https://www.health.gov.au/contacts/elder-abuse-phone-line

Unfortunately, this is not uncommon. It is happening only too often.

You can also have a look at this page: https://eapu.com.au/elder-abuse-helpline/ @Lolo11 

Hi @Lolo11 ,

How is everything going?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance