Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Smc
Senior Contributor

Re: D.I.D....

Panel hearing has been and gone, and Older Daughter will hear back on the decision over the next couple of days.

We're waiting on the verdict from a local hand therapists appointment which happens Wednesday, to find out whether we'll need to make the long drive down for another follow up at the hospital where she had the tendon surgery done, scheduled for Thursday... we're very much hoping she gets the "all clear". Neither of us are much up to a trip that will take all day.

I've felt so tired today, but duh, big weekend followed up with today's meeting. And a couple of snake scares over the past day too. (A young Tiger Snake hanging around near the animal pens/back corner of the house. We're hoping it's even more keen on avoiding us. They're high on the venomous scale, but thankfully are low on the aggression/company seeking scale.)

Former-Member
Not applicable

Yikes @Smc  a tiger snake on top of the emotionally draining situations you are having at present. 

Smc
Senior Contributor

Yeah... I'm generally pretty "live and let live" with snakes @Former-Member, but this one has been hanging around uncomfortably close. And yup, not a good time for it.
Thing is, it could well have been living in the same general area for ages. Because they like our company even less than we like theirs, they keep out of sight. The only difference between last week and this week is that we actually know it's around.

If it takes out a few of the rodents that have been pinching the animals' spilled feed, that won't be a bad thing. But nooo, don't want a personal close encounter with it!

Former-Member
Not applicable

Am wondering how daughter got on with hand @Smc  or if any news re: accommodation.

Smc
Senior Contributor

@Former-Member, the local hand therapist and her doctor are both happy with her healing and function, so we didn't have to do the big drive to the surgeon's clinic.

She didn't get into the supported housing. They decided that she didn't sound like she was ready for the program. She's adamant that she was saying the exact opposite, but I don't think she realised how negatively she came across in the interview. e.g. shared meals would be difficult due to her food OCD; she might not be able to particiate in some sessions if she has a fibromyalgia flare up; she'd find living in a unit shared with someone she hasn't known beforehand a big adjustment. With the probable exception of the fibromyalgia, all things she's willing to work though, but they may well be right that she's not yet at the stage where she can succesfully do so.

They need a pretty high level of certainty that their accepted residents will stick out the one year program they run. So despite the disappointment on our part (it would have taken some pressure off us, and may have helped her to actually make some progress) it's probably a fair call. Smiley Frustrated She can apply again, so we need to find some way of helping her see what they interpreted as "not ready" and work through those things. If possible, that needs to include her finding ways of pushing through the fibromyalgia pain, preferably by learning some pain management strategies that don't involve potent and potentially addictive painkillers. Shared household tasks won't work out too well if she's randomly in "too much pain" to pull her weight, for example. I could imagine any housemate getting frustrated by that pretty quickly.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Good news re: hand @Smc 

Am hearing you regarding the supported housing situation.

Former-Member
Not applicable

How did you get on today @Smc 

Smc
Senior Contributor

Bit of a "lazy" day for me @Former-Member. Hubby drove Older Daughter in to the nearby rural city for an appointment this morning. Still all quiet.

So far, we've got hopes that following her discharge plan is helping to break the SH pattern.

@Smc 

Thinking of you and family. 

@Smc 💛
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance