Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Help after stepdad's psychotic episode

Hi @Former-Member, thanks for checking in. He’s still in hospital and not doing as well as hoped. He’s had 7 or 8 ECT treatments and is much better than when he arrived in hospital but still delusional (tells Mum he thinks people are listening to their conversations, thinks the doctors are part of the gang coming to get him etc). I have passed on all of the resources you shared with Mum and have been encouraging her to be proactive but she’s worn down and scared and I feel like she’s just waiting for the doctors to tell her the next step. What I (and my siblings) are wondering is what happens if he comes home and is still paranoid / delusional? The MHT have scheduled him until 12 March but it seems that after that they are planing on releasing him. I guess they will have to assess the risk of him returning to the community closer to that date? I don’t believe it’s be safe for he or Mum for him to be at home right now. The doctors have indicated they that he’s not as good as they hoped he would be. As you said, the respite from hospital is great but that won’t last forever.

Hi @ajw
It is very hard, when unwell my husband went walkabout a few times. From what I understand ECT series is 12 sessions and with my husband progress was not seen until around the 7-8 session mark. Some drugs take a good 6 weeks to take full effect.

When it comes to the time for treatment order to expire the treating team will consider the criteria to be able to hold a patient involuntary to consider if seeking an extension is warranted.

It is very scary when a patient comes home after being so unwell, please keep encouraging mum to seek support. One way you could do this is by offering to go to family education with her (such as ones Wellways offer). Mr D's pdoc gave MD carer leave to do this.

Hi @ajw22
How are things going?
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance