Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Lemonjuice
Senior Contributor

Hi

Hi, haven't been on for a while now. Not sure if anyone remembers me or what I was up to last time.  My therapist had moved on to private practice, so I couldn't afford him and so I was considering whether to apply for ndis.  I decided against it, I've been given a new therapist and she is lovely.  I've only seen her two times but she is pretty good, so I will stay with her.

The other reason I haven't been around is that a couple of months ago, we found out that my 80 year old mother has leukemia.  She has gone through three bone marrow tests which are horrendous to witness, transfusions, chemo, etc.  She is so bruised and exhausted and I get a ringside seat to it all.  Apparently, I'm resilient though, so I just put one foot in front of the other and keep moving.

To be honest, I'm kind of relieved, she's been suffering for a long time now, from diabetes related problems.  I'm also relieved because I've been suffering with her.  I've been a carer for some 30 years now, dad, mum, my sister's kids.  Dad's gone, my sister's kids are now adults and now my mum is going.  After she goes, I will have no responsibilities or obligations to anyone...my carer days will be over.  I will be alone but it won't matter.  I think I would like to take a few months away from everything and everyone...go to Tasmania.  It will give my niece and nephew a chance to get comfy living without me.  I don't know after that, might go back and see some of the places we lived in, old school, etc, a biographical journey.  I think I will call it a day at that point.  I can't really see any real reason to live past that and the truth is, I was never really keen on life, I kind of just existed cause it was the thing to do or because others needed me.  I never got married or had relationship, never had kids, only worked for a while before anxiety kicked in and became disabled and study is tediously slow cause of my issues.  All round, it's been boring, exhausting and meaningless.  I do feel relief that after so many years, it's finally coming to a close.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Hi

Hi @Lemonjuice 

I'm really sorry to hear about the news of your mother's diagnosis, I can only imagine how distressing that must feel to witness her go through all of that treatment. I can also understand that you're feeling relieved at the thought of your caring duties coming to a close in the event that she passes away, and the freedom that will come with that. I am however quite concerned about your safety and well-being because of what you mentioned about calling it a day at some point in the future, so I will send you a check-in email now just to touch base.

Kindest regards, 3Jewels.

Teej
Community Elder

Hi @Lemonjuice ðŸ‘‹ 

i just wanted you to know that I’m hearing you. I have had that feeling for a very long time too, that there would be an inevitable end sooner rather than later. Just now im ok and not thinking about it as much, it hasn’t left me but it’s not here either.

I’m so sorry that you’ve had such a hard time caring for your mum. It must be hard. 

I hope you get to just be you and find some peace in tassie. Maybe that peace will be enough to keep putting one foot in front of another for a bit longer yet. Tassie was always the place I thought I’d like a sea change. Maybe it can be yours. 

Take care of you 💜🤗

Lemonjuice
Senior Contributor

@Teej thanks. Going south camping, is something we had talked about many times, but it never happened. I know it's still early days, but I am thinking that once the house is sold, I will buy a campervan and a dog and drive south towards Tasmania...not sure, but I think I will be able to get across with the campervan. The dog will be good company and security and I can always leave it with my sister when I get back. Tasmania looks so green and peaceful, quite beautiful.
Teej
Community Elder

It sounds like a well deserved break @Lemonjuice . I love what you are planning to do.....and a little jealous 😌

It sounds like a great plan with a dog companion as well. Wishing you all the best. I’m heading to sleep for now. Thanks for sharing what’s happening for you.  

Goodnight  ðŸ’œðŸ¤—

@Lemonjuice hi. Sounds pretty full on. Getting away sounds nice and yes tasmania is definitely beautiful.
Ali11
Community Builder

So sorry to hear about your mum's health. You are resilient by continuing to move forward. Going to Tasmania in a campervan and with a dog sounds like bliss @Lemonjuice, would you drive around the entire state? Would you ever consider driving around mainland Australia once you've done Tassie? 

Lemonjuice
Senior Contributor

Just Tasmania. I like cool climates and lots of green. Lol, not much of that in Australia and besides, my anxiety would be an issue...I can just about manage that. I know it's weird but from about Newcastle to Tassie feels like I am still home and I'm a bit agrophobic that way. I wish I was one of those people who loves to travel, full of confidence, but I'm a homebody/routine person. Still, grateful to at least be able to travel that far.
greenpea
Senior Contributor

@Lemonjuice  Hi Lemonjuice it is good to see you again. I have been thinking of you on and off since your previous postings which were so gut wrenching. Two things I have always liked about you is your dry sense of humour which shows through on some of your posts and your toughness. You are one tough lady. I am glad you are back. Stay a bit longer this time. greenpeaxx

hi there @Lemonjuice

I don't recall seeing you in the past so maybe it was before I was around. Either way, for what it's worth, it's nice to see you here

Sounds like you've been through one hell of a ride my friend. Sounds like it's time for you to unwind and settle in.

I hope forums help you in whatever way possible.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance