Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Fedup1
New Contributor

I think my BF is mentally ill, but Psych doesn't seem concerned.

I've been with my boyfriend more than 5 years. He's always had a bit of a temper, but nothing extreme enough to worry about. In the past two years I've noticed some changes in his behaviour that really worry me. (He is in his late 20s - early 30s) He's been engaging in more and more generally reckless behavior, has started to become enraged over even the tiniest things, he has threatened me in fits of anger and I have felt unsafe, is over-exaggerating everything and saying things then swearing 100% that he never said it, decreased empathy and an emergence of extreme selfishness, constant irritability, extremely low self-esteem, he's paranoid that everyone hates him all the time, constantly unsure of what he wants/likes, says he feels empty all the time, talks about how nobody would miss him if he died and says he'll just jump in front of a bus/train etc but swears he's just joking when I ask him about it later, gets upset/clingy/needy when I'm away from him and also has panic attacks, cannot sleep unless I'm next to him. + more. Worringly he doesn't think there's a problem and that hes fine and will often deny he has any of these symptoms.

These things have been severely affecting my own not so great mental health. I'm very concerned.

I convinced him to see a psychologist and he's been seeing him for a month now, but the psychologist has cut back his sessions from fortnightly to monthly as the psychologist thinks his symptoms are not very concerning. (despite being told of the violent outbursts and threats) The psychologist has not diagnosed him with anything, nor has he had any kind of treatment except just talking.

Should I be telling him to get a different psychologist? What is the best course of action? Is the psychologist right and it's not that concerning? What are the likely diagnoses for his symptoms if he does have a mental illness?

Any advice would be helpful, I'm not coping well and need help.

1 REPLY 1

Re: I think my BF is mentally ill, but Psych doesn't seem concerned.

@Fedup1  Ochre here (moderator), I'm just checking in with you as from what you've explained I am concerned about your safety and I will check in with you via email. 

I can hear that you are concerned about your boyfriend and his care and treatment presently; However, right now it's important that YOU are okay, supported and safe. Your safety is vital.

Below are some key supports to help you around the concerning situation of violence you've described:

1800RESPECT: 1800 737 732

Relationships Australia:1300 364 277

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance