Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Former-Member
Not applicable

It was ALL a dream. [TRIGGERING: Domestic violence].

I had a nightmare this morning, and woke up after two hours of sleep!

In the dream, I was standing on this street I know in real life. There are other people on the street too. It was late afternoon, just before sunset. I heard a scream, and kind of scanned the area to see where it was coming from, and what it might have been. I look down the street and I slowly realise that a woman is being physically assaulted by her partner on the road further down.

I run towards them and most disturbingly, I get held back by these anonymous people. They don't knock me down, but they create a kind of block with their arms. Then my Dad of all people runs in and pulls the guy down.

I don't really have an emotional connection with my family, so I am not going to read too much into the fact that it was my Dad... but that was very upsetting. I remember I had another dream about being helpless. I was trying to call 000 for some reason and the line was busy, I just couldn't get through. 

Do you get nightmares yourself, and do you believe dreams have meaning?

I don't believe that dreams are some kind of mechanism of communication with the spiritual world or whatever it might be, but I do believe that dreams are an indication of the things we think about in our waking life, even if we don't acknowledge it.

To dream of being helpless represents feelings about yourself or others having no chance to succeed on their own. Feelings about yourself being desperate. Not believing in yourself enough. Giving up too easily. Alternatively, it may be a sign that you are feeling sorry for yourself and giving up. Thinking of yourself as a victim.

Sounds about right... sorry the word "dream" is in bold LOL, it was like that when I pasted it.

Do you guys have any tips for dealing with nightmares and the feelings around them?

Thank you x.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: It was ALL a dream. [TRIGGERING: Domestic violence].

Hi @Former-Member dreams are something I've been interested in for a very long time. Like you, I believe they are often simply a reflection of things we've been thinking or experiencing in our waking life. The best way for me to deal with nightmares is to keep reminding myself it was a dream. I often say out loud at those times, "lucky it was only a dream". 

What I've said is possibly not all that helpful, but I wanted to answer your post so that you know someone has heard you. Hope the feelings from the dream subside over the course of the day and you are able to enjoy some things in your waking life.

@Former-Member @Mazarita  I have different dreams some from people close to me who have died to say good bye. Other dreams which are psychotic in nature and then the classic nonsense dreams. xx

@greenpea I love the classic nonsense dreams the best. More original usually than most movies!

@Mazarita  yes like Alice in Wonderland :)x

Pictures from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - Alice-in-Wonderland.net |  Alice in wonderland book, Alice in wonderland flamingo, Alice in wonderland  original

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance