Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: My friend was abused - help

Thank you @Former-Member. Just got back from my session with my psychologist. Early morning I dropped in a copy of the correspondence between my old friend and I (all identifying details blacked out) & also 3 pages of questions that I would like him to help me work through. He read it all before my 10.30 appointment - so when I got there, we jumped straight into it.
He spent an hr and a half with me - answering every single question in a way that just made so much sense. The guy is a genius. I feel so relaxed and I know I can handle whatever happens now. Feel happy as if floating on a cloud. So I'm as ready as I can be.
(Feel sorry for the client who had to wait 30 minutes for me to finish my session).
Got home and went to put the notes / questions away - when I noticed that he had written side notes on most of ny questions - so I can remind myself.
There really are some great therapists out there.

How helpful is that @utopia? What a thoughtful person. I'm pleased you're feeling more relaxed about meeting with your old friend. Don't discredit the huge amount of work you've done yourself.
I'm sure when you meet this chap after so many years you'll be able to assist him in so many ways.

Keep on keeping on doing what you're doing. It's working for you.
Luv n Hugzzz 💕
Former-Member
Not applicable

That's great @utopia 😊 that your psychologist is so good. Mine is lovely, but always rushing, sometimes finishing before the hour is up. Last time was a big rush. Seemed like I just started my session and it wa s over. 😯 Had a week off, recovering, before I go back for more EMDR.

I'm really pleased you're feeling better and looking forward to seeing your friend. Exciting for you, after so many years. 😊👍💗

Hi @Kurra 😀

@utopia - how wonderful is that? You are obviously very lucky with your therapist. More often than not we only hear the bad stories about therapists who underperform, or leave us hanging because your time is up. Your experience today gives us all faith in the industry. I too am lucky, in that my clinical psychologist always books a double apppointment for me and uses every bit of it. But its still lovely to hear your good news story.

And so very pleased that you feel so happy, relaxed and 'ready for anything' as a result of your session.

@Former-Member @Kurra @Former-Member @Former-Member. I have been very lucky to find this psychologist. And he's only just qualified, but he has ppreviously worked in drug and alcohol. My best friend actually recommended him - & you should see the change in her. Blossoming.
When he read our correspondence and my questions - he knew I was feeling in crisis mode (maybe because I wrote it on the bottom of my questions page). But he knew what I needed. To Remember and understand that this is my friends story, his problem, his interpretation - not mine. So yes empathise as I do on this site, but stop imagining what he must have felt - as my imagination is based on my experiences only. Only he can define how he felt etc.
Then my psychologist went into my stuff - re: separating first love feelings & explained what happens in the brain when we remember that first love & how it looks like I have opened a part of my heart to let love in again - whether with my old friend or someone else. That it's my brains way of telling me - that I am strong enough to allow myself to be vulnerable to another.
So I guess it was like a counseling session for two people - but only 1 was there.

@Former-Member - how are you finding the EMDR sessions? Have you had 2 now.
Former-Member
Not applicable

I'm really pleased for you @utopia. Well done 👍. I had total faith that you'd get it sorted. Now I hope you find the weekend goes ok. We'll be here if you need but it feels like you've got this. Best wishes💜😊🤗

Thanks @Former-Member & how are you?' How has your day been?

Hi @utopia
You sound so much calmer. You have worked so hard and now you're starting to teap the benefits. I have every confidence in your ability to handle this weekend with the same compassion you show us here.
Luv n Hugzzz 💕
Former-Member
Not applicable

@utopia. Feeling ******up but not really feeling like talking about it. Thanks for asking. I'm going to hide for a bit. I'll be ok just throwing a huge self pity party. I'm really happy for you though 💜😊
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance