Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

The-red-centaur
Senior Contributor

Questions on reporting sexual assault

So... I was sexually assaulted in the psych ward last year. I never reported it though. But now I've been thinking I should. It's terrifying me but after talking to my psychologist today I think it's something I should do.
But I have questions if I decide to go down that path.

I don't actually remember the date. I spent a lot of time in the psych ward I don't remember which admission it happened. I also don't remember all the details. Will this impact the report.
I was also having a psychotic break down at the time so I don't know if anyone would believe me.
I also don't know if it's even worth reporting. I froze and let it happen.
And who do I even go to if I report it.

Anyway this shit is doing my head in and causing flashbacks. I don't know how to deal with it.

30 REPLIES 30

Re: Questions on reporting sexual assault

@The-red-centaur.
I think it would be good if you could report it. Okay, no charges can be layed, with lack of dates etc against the person involved. But many people have been campaigning for safer one sex only wards for some time.
So your report could go towards influencing that.
Also, they or you may be able to identify the person who did this. If so, a note may be put on his file - to warn staff that he may be a danger. (Sorry, assuming it's a male).
Finally, I'm sorry to hear that this happened to you. You didn't deserve it. I hope you can find some healing with the help of your psychiatrist.

@The-red-centaur Firstly - you did not let it happen - it happened to you and without your consent. Whether you froze or fought does not matter - it is assault!

The decision to report it or not has to be entirely yours - you need to be ok with your decision as being the right one for you. Whether you remember actual dates etc. should not be a factor in your decision - they are things that can be looked at later. What is a factor is how this is affecting you and if you feel that reporting it will help YOU then that is all you need to consider. If you decide to go down that path then your psychologist should be able to help you with the process.

The most important person in this is YOU @The-red-centaur and we will be here to listen whatever you decide. There are specific community guidelines that mention what you can and cannot say - they are there to provide a safe environment for you and other members - so whilst we are here to listen and support you maybe take a quick look here to familiarise yourself on what you can and cannot post.

Sitting with you @The-red-centaur Heart

@utopia thanks for the reply. I disagree with single sex wards (especially as someone who is transgender). I know who the perpetrator is, it's a good idea to get something in his file, I'd hate for it to happen to someone else.

@Zoe7 thanks for the kind words. I'm going to talk to the sexual assault service in my town to see what can be done and get more info. I'm thinking Ill probably go through with the report with support and I should also think of the safety of others against the perpetrator.

@The-red-centaur.
That sounds like a good plan. I'm glad you will be talking to your local sexual assault service. I'm sure they will provide you with all the help you need.
I know I don't know you. But I'm proud of you for doing this. It is not easy. But it just may warn mental health staff to keep an eye on him.
Again I hope your journey towards healing, is gentle.

URGH! This makes me SO VERY ANGRY!
I was threatened with sexual assault by a patient in a locked ward around 10 years ago.
I've looked into the matter around 5 years ago and did you know that sexual and violent assaults patient to staff member is recorded and researched, but patient to patient assaults are NOT!
I would totally report this, you have to. It needs to be known and put on record that our public locked wards are NOT SAFE PLACES! We need better treatment. It's not good enough.
You go to the hospital you were at, there will be an inquiry or complaints line and if the hospital does not address this to your satisfaction there is a complaints body in each state.
Im so sorry this happened to you, but your reporting it is the first step in this never happening again.

I think you are incredibly brave for not only writing about it here but also reporting what happened @The-red-centaur  Heart

I am really pleased to hear that you are going to talk to the sexual assault service in your town. They can not only help you with 'the process' but also provide ongoing support whether you eventually do or do not report the assault. It is also amazing how you are thinking of others even when you are dealing with so much yourself. Thinking that you will go through with the report for the safety of others against the perpetrator is very selfless and courageous. Just remember though that YOU are the one that matters the most here - it is admirable that you are thinking of what could happen to others but protect yourself also in the process. It is also very much okay at any stage for you to say you can't continue if it gets too much for you.

As I said before @The-red-centaur - you are showing incredible bravery, courage, resilience and compassion yourself and any little way I can support you here I will when I can. 

Take care @The-red-centaur 

Zoe Heart

So I put this off for a bit due to Christmas and new year.
I spoke to the sexual assault service in my town today about options. I'm trying to figure out how to do this.
My main two options are pretty much to go to police station and make a statement or make a statement to the sexual assault service and they give it to police.
I don't know what to do...

I suppose the questions you need to ask yourself are:

1. can I make a statement...and if the answer is YES...then

2. who do I feel more comfortable making the statement to - the sexual assault service OR the police directly

hi im gymgirl240 and i have just been through the same situation as what you have been through. i was just wondering how did you adventaly cope with it all 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance