Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

dandelionsprawl
Casual Contributor

Something doesn't seem to be right with my mind

Hi,

I am a new member to this forum. Last month, I was diagnosed auditory hallucinations and chronic anxiety stemming from past events. I was given some medication to overcome these issues.

Unfortunately, ever since I am on medication, I notice that I sometimes get flashes of unsavoury images in my mind. I have never thought of such images before and thus, I am very ashamed with these thoughts. However, I am feeling compelled to reach out to someone on this forum who might share this similar experience and was wondering how one might be able to cope with it if it occurs again? 

Many thanks in advance for reading this.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Something doesn't seem to be right with my mind

Hi @dandelionsprawl  thanks heaps for posting. I hope it comforts you to know you're not alone in this, other members have spoken to these issues before for sure. Have you been able to confide in a GP or psychiatrist about these new images that are flashing to mind?

We're here to listen, you've found a non-judgemental and connected community here 🙂 

@dandelionsprawl  Welcome to the forum.

Smiley Happy

I have struggled with many different unwanted thoughts over the years.  The best approach for me was learning in meditation that I could simply watch thoughts come and go without responding to them or judging them.  It has taken a long time to heal from my past traumas but those thoughts do not trouble me so much any more.

Take Care

Apple

Hi @nashy 

Thank you so much for your message. It does comfort me to know that I am not alone in this. I have confided with the psychiatrist about these new images recently and was informed that they could be from suppressed emotions from my past traumas resurfacing as the medication takes effect. 

Hi @Appleblossom 

Thank you so much for your message. May I know what sort of meditations have you used to overcome these unwanted thoughts? I'm hoping to better myself through meditation and exercises rather than relying wholely on medication.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and for your help :).

I have used a variety of meditations from a 3 syllable mantra given to me at a retreat 40 years ago which I have forgotten, to the repitition of a simple prayer based around Om namah shivaya and christian prayer.  The most effective for me has been a Buddhist approach called metta, which means loving kindness.  I had so much trauma and tumultuous thoughts and feelings keeping it really simple was best.  For a long time I could not calm my mind but gradually adopting the practice of gentle acceptance helped. I focus on the breath and allow thoughts to come and go.  It is not much more than that. There are many youtube videos and sites on the net that might suit you.  

Fighting or trying to block thoughts or getting angry with oneself often makes things worse.

@dandelionsprawl  I love dandelions.

Take Care

Smiley Happy

looked up" Om namah shivaya" on you tube. Loved it, Really calming and peaceful. Now trying to get a cd of the one I liked by Ishvarnaa. I found it to be very addictive. It is amazing what you learn on Sane Forum. Thank you Appleblossom

Hi @Appleblossom ,

Thank you for your reply. I looked up Metta meditation and found an effective guided meditation on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdVpd-Ya7Dk). I will continue practising this meditation and do my best to be less dependent on medication.Thanks again for your insight :).

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance