Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Trigger warning - child sexual abuse, shame

@MDT @BlueBay @Snowie @Hope4me @Razzle @Appleblossom @Ali11 

I'm feeling very numb and am trying to keep my head above water. It's tough and I don't know where I'm heading. I've joined an online forum that is specifically for survivors and I hope reading stories there and contributing myself will help me understand our shared experiences. I still have no idea how to move forward.

Wishing you all the best. I will be on the forum from time to time, but will probably not post about the abuse anymore as this is an open forum. I wish we could have sections that are members only as it does feel intimidating to me at times to share my inner most and know, although my identity is protected, that anyone can read my story,

Hey @Former-Member
Thanks for tagging me my friend. I think you have a wise approach in joining a forum that is especially about the things you have spoken about.

The good thing about the forums here is that it is an open space which means we can share. But I think you are right - sometimes it can be intimidating.

I like seeing you on the forums and hearing from you 🙂

Hi @MDT 

I will stay on the forum. I just think that abuse specific questions are better asked in a closed forum. I like the Sane forum and the people I have met here.

🙂 @Former-Member

Sending love @Former-Member, glad you're not leaving us entirely, and we can understand how sharing something so personal can be scary and confronting, especially when you're not sure of who is reading Heart

There shouldn’t be any nervousness using a public forum as long as people do not break your privacy and confidentiality if they have access to your personal information, authorised or un-authorised, legal or illegal, and act professionally and with integrity.

And yes, anyone can read what we write on here, and you’d think given the sensitive nature of the material that respect wouldn’t have to be something merely hoped for, but something guaranteed.

It only becomes revelatory and biographical if you know the person and have broken their privacy and confidentiality, and then someone would feel voyeuristic and intrusive because they did the wrong thing to begin with. They haven’t shown the same respect that they demand to receive themselves when their private life is at risk of being exposed.

If privacy and confidentiality isn’t broken in the first place, there shouldn’t be a problem, and people can continue to receive peer support when they really need it.

Unfortunately, some people do the wrong thing, as they did by me on a forum, and this opportunity for peer support is taken from us if they chose to act in their own entitled self-interest.

Corny

Thanks for letting us know of your decisions. @Former-Member 

Sounds like a wise call.

HeartSmiley Happy

I have varied in the way I post.

Gently Bently

and take care.

Smiley Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance