Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: What to do when something is really wrong, and you cant get help

I have been trying to get onto this program since February this year.
I am excluded because I am considered too ill.
The story of my life.
Too ill and too old for treatment. No one wants to attempt to support people with severe and enduring anorexia, much easier to deal with early intervention and prevention.

Isn't it ironic when you can't get treatment because you're too ill?? *doe eyes*

Yep - crazy.
I have tried to had private hospital admissions and I got told I am "far too ill to come to hospital".
I said how can someone be too ill to be admitted, surely that meant I needed to be admitted.
So many people who need the most help falling through the gaps in the system and being left with nothing.

It seems a breach of human rights to not be able to access services because you're too ill...have you tried using an advocate? VMIAC (Victorian mental illness awareness council) has advocates.. You can contact VMIAC at www.vmiac.org.au or contact the mental health complaints commissioner on http://www.mhcc.vic.gov.au/. If you are outside Victoria, Google mental health complaints commissioner in your state, or contact your local or federal member of parliament...

No advocates in nsw, but I have the name of the chief psychiatrist in nsw so will write when I get a chance.
I have written to my local mp and jillian skinner.

Hi Pipkin,

You might want to try the Mental Health Advocacy Serive in Burwaood, Sydney (they are a part of legal aid and I believe they can offer support for this type of issue) - Ph: 02 97476155, or Head Office in Sydney Ph: 02 92195000

Hobbit

Pipkin

I can "hear" your frustration.

I too hear all the slogans about help being available but my lived experience is to the contrary.

I am desperate for proper help (i.e. not a one-off consulation) but help is nowhere to be found.

As for the often given advice of just turning up at Emergency, I find this so frustrating I could scream. It is such ridiculous advice that provides the advice givers with an "out" from saying that the truth is that for some of us, there is no help available.

I cried when I read what you said about not be able to get help and being left at home, alone, to self destruct. That too is me.

Maybe if you and I can speak up enough sooner or later someone might listen.

Please be kind to yourself.

Thank you.
The links are to a course regarding disordered eating.

Hello Pipkin.

Wondering whether you received a reply from Gillian Skinner and also whether you'd be prepared to share the name of the Chief Psychiatrist?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance