Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Would you do this?

@Former-Member yes and no i have some support but no one i actually talk to about the serious stuff other than professionals. 

Hi @Eden1919

That is an interesting question and I was not given any option regarding an involuntary treatment order and i really dont know much about this.

I do know that a few times he was assessed by a psych team after  'extremely bad' nights where he had ended up in hospital and by the next day when he was assessed he didn't 'tick enough boxes' for them to keep him. You see the problem is that my son has BPD and can be very smart at times, cunning and very manipulative, he worked every system there was and yet was completely out of control at times.

Its very hard for me to answer your question because what you wrote about what happended to you and how it affected you is horrible and I feel for you. On the otherside of that the trauma and 8 years of sufferance and pain, from my BPD, caused so much emotional distress and suffering that I wonder if I will ever recover. I am truly scarred from him and still question my reason for being here. So in those moments I would have to honestly say that I would have had him involuntarily treated not only because I believe he needs help but for my own selfish and deperate need for some peace. I am not sure if I like myself very much after admitting that.

Hi @Exhausted1 I am sorry your son's BPD has caused you so much hurt that is awful. but thankyou for being honest i really appreciate it. it is hard because i feel there must be a way to find a balance between allowing carers some respite and having peoples rights respected. it is just so hard i think for me it may have been different in the sense that i was forced to be on medications i have know some people who have been on a order who were not forced to take medication and they did not seem to have the same expeience as me. but i think everyones experience is different anyway. 

Personally I am quite wary of medication and would not and have not ever advocated for involuntary treatment.

However, two of my siblings and my ex husband were on ITOs.  I was not involved in any of those decisions.  I was very sympathetic to my ex as it was just after the time I met him. 

After years of dealing with others with serious MH issues, I am now taking medication.  A lot of my trauma was from dealing with out of control behaviour, but I was also very grief struck. As I reflect I suspect I could have had more medication earlier, than back pats and being told what a wonderful job I was doing.

Its tricky but an important question to ask.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Eden1919

I do not think that there is a definitive answer to your question and I think that the presenting circumstances (ie patient mood, behaviour and thought process) would have a bearing on how a carer would feel at the time in relation to an order, irrespective of who instigated it (my understanding is that very few carers do apply for an order).

I know that at the end of the day we want to see the ones we love as well as they can be, living meaningful lives.

That is the reason I asked specifically about a carer is that having support and someone to advocate for you can make a difference.
Former-Member
Not applicable

@Eden1919

The need for a treatment order and the drugs given under them is a separate issue.

This point is a complex one and as a carer I would want clear communication around this and would seek to ensure that any medication that was given was appropriate and necessary.

To do this I would need to know past treatment and response to it to enable me to advocate and support.
Former-Member
Not applicable

@Former-Member wrote:
@Eden1919

The need for a treatment order and the drugs given under them is a separate issue.

This point is a complex one and as a carer I would want clear communication around this and would seek to ensure that any medication that was given was appropriate and necessary.

Hello dear @Eden1919

Darcy's above thoughts are exactly mine on the issue you raised here. And the individual circumstances that lead up to a treatment order can vary significantly in each person's case - there is no simple answer. One thing I do know that it is an absolutely last resort if all else fails to ease the sufferers deterioating mental state.

A carer has to do what is best to keep the mentally ill person and themselves safe at the time. And these circumstances can vary from person to person. Not all situations are the same.  And if the person effected is "not taking medication" and deteriorates to the point where nothing else is working and the sufferer becomes a risk to themselves and others leaves those responsible for their well being no other option.

Would I have a loved one scheduled in the above circumstances - yes. As to ignore this could result in suicide, murder/suicide or further mental and physical deterioration leading to tragedy. I would be left with no option. Would I want to? No, no one wants to schedule their loved one - it's heart breaking, but sometimes we are left with no choice - not allowing our emotions to blindside what is the best thing to do for all concerned leads to the best result for the sufferer in my experience. This can all take an enormous toll and be traumatising for the carer as well. And carers also need support for this reason (. @Exhausted1 - do not feel bad, we do what we have to at the time for everyone's well being as all are equally important)

I have been faced on a few occasions with such an emergency. My daughter was scheduled not by me but by the state hospital as she had a serious attempt. I have never applied for an order as my daughter has improved - it was an option that her GP raised if she continued to deteriorate unmedicated to a degree where she became a risk to herself and us.  And if that had been the case, to save her life I would of went ahead with it. There are a lot of individual circumstances that a person faces in these situations and sometimes there is no choice. No simple answer or solution.

The best judge is those who love the sufferer and act in their best interests and whom are in the particular circumstances witnessing it daily. Whom suffer the consequences inflicted on themselves and have to watch the mentally ill person suffer and deterioate/act out/self destruct. The Person experiencing a mental breakdown "may become paranoid, delusional and lose all insight to their deterioating state and so the carer has to act in their best interests then". This is where the subject of medication and treatment does become an issue and it is very important for the carer to ensure the appropriateness of any treatment given. 

My suggestion to the sufferer to uphold their rights when it comes to possibly detainment under the Act - is to make their intentions of what medication/treatments are not acceptable when stable and why this would be so "medically/psychologically" detrimental  (e.g. Any reverse effects with certain meds or ineffectiveness in the past etc) with the particular mental disorder suffered, and put this together in writing with your psychiatrist or GP. Whether this will hold any weight or impact depends on State to State legalisation and what the Act can override. It may be worth discussing with your medical professional.

But to be assessed as mentally unstable when scheduled and detained, A medicated treatment plan of some sort has to be  to be established to stabilise the patient. No one detained can override this. Having a support person to overlook this treatment is a must in my opinion, and if you cannot appoint a known person to you, you can apply through the mental health Act for a official support mental health worker to do this for you on your behalf and overlook your treatment and care whilst in hospital. You have those rights.

Being a carer I would personally want to be informed and involved with the treatment plan, know all the possible side effects and the long term prognosis and continuing treatment. And yes, becoming informed with the mental health Act is essential to ensure our loved one receives proper care and knows their rights.

I do sympathise @Eden1919 with what you are saying about some of the medication side effects being terrible. And to also being treated as stupid. I have been hospitalised in the past voluntarily and can relate. Treatments do need to improve as does the treatment of the patients in some psych facilities, they can be questionable to say the least due mainly to underfunding in the public system and stigma - there is so much the medical world does not know about the brain. I think certain private facilities are better if "they have proven treatment plans" (not experimenting - deep sleep etc). 

To my experience the best on offer for psychosis is mainly heavy sedation/ECT, an attempt to re-balance brain chemistry. For some whom were under good psychiatrists for meds and psychologists for much needed additional therapy; those who take their meds consistently together with leading a healthy lifestyle have managed to keep their psychosis under control - they have been able to go on to lead functional lives, hold down jobs because of it. This was sometimes a result of the ongoing treatment after being detained - of finding the right treatment that fitted the individual sufferer, which can be trial and error until success is obtained. Some of these individuals were able to achieve this as a result of being stabilised in hospital then going onto following a long term plan. So there can be a upside to it.

It really does come down to the individual sufferer and how they look after themselves/what choices they make/their outlook on their illness/life together with receiving "adequate support" and "the right treatment plan" - this can make all the difference to the outcome. They need support persons whom can look out for their best interests when they are unwell - but they must also co-operate in a chosen treatment plan they feel comfortable with for success. To my knowledge no one suffering a severe mental illness can recover or function adequately without medication. So Trusting our carers, the right treatment and the medical professionals is also a huge component towards successfully treatment.  And I have known some after years of treatment being well enough to eventually wean off treatment. It depends on the severity.

I personally keep hoping that there are further medical breakthroughs that will produce better treatment plans for the mentally ill, creating meds with less side effects together with incorporating better essential therapy options that are affordable (not just relying on calming the symptoms with meds but actually address coping strategies, triggers etc); and that a better understanding of MI circulates in society enhancing more compassion and dignity for those inflicted. And the fact the mentally ill are intelligent good people regardless of brain imbalance, damage and trauma symptoms whom have the capacity to take responsibility for their actions, choices and lives - that just need a hands up when hitting bottom reducing stigma.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance