Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: need advice from the formites

@greenpea I totally disagree that study is tricky with a mental illness - especially when it is managed and you know yourself. Saying that pidgeon-holes people with a mental illness as incapable of leading a life that they choose. With the right support - whether that is with meds, people around you to help/encourage and also knowing your own capabilities is crucial. I have lived with mentai illness most of my life but in between have achieved 2 degrees, a graduate diploma and a TAFE qualification - the latter 2 I did in the same year. It is not always easy studying whether you have a Mi or not - life sometimes gets in the way - so you can never foresee what is to come. But what you can do is pursue your dreams and if one of those is studying to get to where you want to be then go for it little pea. As you have said you have time for the meds to hopefully stabilise you a little more before the course starts ...and you also have a grace period when it does start that you can defer or pull out altogether if it is not working for you. But you will never know if you don't take the chance - do not let anyone (especially your pdoc) deter you from udertakig what you want to do ...and quite frankly your pdoc should be encouraging you rather than making veil threats - grrr! You deserve to live the life you choose and if study is a means to an end in where you want to go and what you want to do then that is what you should do. There is also no shame if it falls through or you cannot cope when you begin - but you will never know if you are ready unless you give it a go.

@Dec  Thanks and I am glad you managed to finish your studies through everything.

@greenpea I didn’t mean to make it sound like I was saying you shouldn’t take your meds lol I was just meaning that was my experience. I am sure you will do well in your studies and you should go for it as @Zoe7 said there is a period where you can pull out and that is usually about 2 months after you start so you should get an idea of how you are coping. And also your psych really should be more supportive. There is a YouTube channel called “living well with schizophrenia” and it is run by a woman who has schizoaffective disorder she has a degree and is doing her masters and does talks for mental health charities in Canada. She mentions in one of her videos that a protective factor against mental illness is being educated, honestly people who say that people with mental health issues can’t achieve anything need to get with the times, anyway off my soap box but you should check out the channel it is pretty good if you are up for it. 

@Zoe7  Hey Zoe7 thank you for your words of optimism and hope re study. Where would I be without my formite friends :D. I want to be like you my friend gainfully employed with all the challenges it brings and if that doesnt happen for whatever reason (agism is a biggie for me) that is okay because I would have been doing something I loved studying in a field of great interest. 

Thank you all for your wonderful replys. Love peaxxx

@Eden1919  Hey Eden1919 I will definitely check out the channel. I will do it right now infact :D. Thanks hun. Talk soon I am sure. Love peaxxx

Working has certainly had it's own challenges @greenpea but it has also brought me much joy again. When you find what you are passionate about and can work in that area it can change your life for the better. I am lucky to enjoy the work I do - even look forward to each day at the moment going to work - and that is not something everyone can say. For you - working towards doing something you want to do is the first step but having that future goal in mind will help you through study. I personally say take that leap Hon because when you finally get there it is so rewarding. There will no doubt be many chllenges along the way - and you may even find as you progress that your focus changes at times - but giving it a go is the only way you will find out if it is really what you want, if it is indeed your passion, and also what you ultimately want to do for work. I truly believe MI is not a barrier to following your dreams - it does make it harder at times but doing what you want ot do ...whether that be study or future work - is possible ...you just have to believe Heart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance