Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: people in public making annoying comments

Sounds good but the problem is how do I do it without revealing where I work?

If I 'blog' about what happened in the shift someone will work it out .....

If I tell you what happens in the transaction you will know who I work for ..maybe

not where I work but eventually someone may work it out if I 'blog' what happened...

the interactions between worker and manager.....

that is a big problem...that is the big risk but assuming that no one I know will find out

about the blog everything ok....but you know its the internet anything could happen

I wish I can totally forget about the shift and every other shift before it...

But it is impossible - the problem is I work in the same retail job

doing the same thing every day

so the 'stale' images are always there - doesn't matter if I'm not there

it's like I am still there as the images are stuck in there and keep replaying all the time

and it's always the 'negative transactions' - you know the ones where I have

bad experiences - it's not only the customer that causes the problem by their bad timing

e.g. turning up right near the end of the shift when I want  to go home ..

it's also the bad micro management which I would have mentioned to you before

I don't know what to do

We hear what you are saying @jamesle2015 and it is definitely important not to provide specifics about your workplace or identifiable aspects about transactions. Fortunately, the retail environment is fairly similar across the industry and it seems you are good at articulating your thoughts that we think you could find a way to explain the frustrations and encourage empathy without needing to use trademarked names or processes. What do you think?

Are you still experiencing the 'stale' images when you are not at work? Ruminating thoughts can become overwhelming but there are strategies to help manage them. Let us know how you are going.

Have you ever worked in retail Ali11?
After the shift all the bad customers 'images' are stuck I can recall everything bad from the shift...

I can recall 'images' from jobs I have had the past 13 years ..

I can remember negative things that happened a few years ago in this retail job

I had one nasty customer complain to me loud enough that other customers

could hear ...the nice older gentleman told me to ignore him

....he complained that the manager was not around and he was not happy with

the service and demanded to speak to manager ...but the lack of 'service' was not

my fault and nothing to do with me and was an ongoing issue for him...

Someone else who was working there at the time had to call the manager and ask

him to return to the office to deal with the situation and the manager didn't stick up for me when he spoke to the customer..typical manager

I worked in other retail before and on the 'phones' calling people...I can

remember negative things that happened in all the jobs I worked and what happened that the contract ended was not my fault ....poor management and lack of understanding .....

In retail not only customer and management sometimes other workers talking behind

my back commenting about my personality which was not very good as well....

that was in previous retail position ..I am sure it happens now on the days when I am not there maybe bad customers talk behind my back to the manager

It is very hard position to be in I am sure a lot of people are facing this problem of 'images' ..in retail as we must constantly face the public

I worked front of house in hospitality for a number of years. It can be such a mixed bag with customers. Try not to let it bother you too much, was probably just on a power trip. Some customers can be truly awful, just remember that their behaviour says far more about them than it ever will about you

front of house..was that in a restaurant ? i can imagine that would be hard especially with intoxicated people

i wouldn't want to face them that's for sure

it's always the annoying customers I remember

some shifts are good ..like today Friday it was quiet  in the 'good' workplace..i work in 2 places as I mentioned to Alli11 before ....when it's quiet then there's not as many people around

from previous post a few months ago:-

>>I have to face the public - retail - so it's something I have to put up with

I had one bloke make a comment about 'making me sweat' - not sure exactly the hidden

meaning behind the comment but I replied - told him it's hard to sweat with this weather .....then he asked me what sort of weather I prefer blah blah blah ..maybe he

realised I was annoyed.....

It wasn't even much work to do - only a minute or two easy for me so what was he getting at?<<

I had that annoying customer today - this time he made a comment because the manager

was there for a minute so he said something like 'making him do some work' ....the manager

said I was going too slow which was not true ....he asked 'why taking so long' very very annoying

when I have a lot of transations to do for one customer

and I wasn't going too slow anyway

then the annoying customer said 'it's ok there's no one behind me'

and then later on he said 'job well done' to me

so he improved a bit since last time but there was no need to make any comment to the manager at the start

manager's fault for appearing at the wrong time and commenting

I think manager does it on purpose to show off to customers - why are people like that?

I wouldn't do it if I was manager - manager should support staff not talk down to them in front

of customers - strange isn't it

It is a headache for me this sort of thing because it keeps replaying over and over even after

the shift is over....I wonder how people stop thinking about what happened at work when they go home

sometimes it is impossible

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance