Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

nashy
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday // Defining your role as a Carer // Tues 21st May, 7pm AEST

TT Carers Tile.jpg

Taking on the role of caring for someone with mental health challenges is no easy feat, as mental health differs to physical health, sometimes it can take time to become aware that we are mental health carers in the first place. It can be very emotionally and physically demanding, as well as at times a rewarding experience. One of the really tricky elements of this task is understanding your identity as a carer, as well as supports that may be available to you.

Join us here on Tuesday the 21st of May as one of our Youth Peer Ambassador's (Carer) talks to the community about the challenges of defining our caring role, with a particular emphasis on young carer's. We welcome people from all walks of life to attend this event, and look forward to seeing you here 😄

Want to receive an email reminder on the night? Hit the 'Support' button below.

I'm new here - what is Topic Tuesday?

Topic Tuesday runs from 7pm - 9pm AEST monthly. Each month we focus on a different topic, with the session facilitated by a Community Manager or Moderator. Sometimes Topic Tuesday will feature a special guest, who is an expert in the topic.

The first post of the thread (this one) will give you an idea of what the topic is and what will be covered.

How do I get involved?

Topic Tuesday takes place right here! It's text based, so no software is needed. During the session, to keep up with the latest posts hit the 'refresh' button on your browser for the latest posts (it doesn't automatically update). Keep an eye for page numbers at the top & bottom of the page, and jump to the highest page number for the most recent post.

Throughout the session, the facilitator will put questions out for you to answer, usually asking for your own experience on the topic. To contribute to the session, just hit the 'reply' button and share your thoughts. No answers are right or wrong and everyone is welcome to get involved.

If you have any questions about how to use the Forums, check out our Guides

84 REPLIES 84

Re: Topic Tuesday // Defining your role as a Carer // Tues 21st May, 7pm AEST

Hello wonderful community! An extra special warm welcome to tonight’s members who wanted a reminder via the support button @BlueRay  @Faith-and-Hope @Shaz51  @Adge  @Appleblossom  @Former-Member @outlander 

Tonight we will be working through the notion around identifying our role as carer’s, with a particular emphasis on the journey of young carers 🙂

Today we are lucky enough to have one of our Youth Peer Ambassador’s, @Tim_YPA ! Tim is a young carer and has a great deal of insight from both a lived experience perspective and a research lens. Whilst everyone settles in, I will get Tim to introduce himself and share a little about his experience...

Hi Everyone, it’s so great to e-meet you all, and to be part of this discussion. A little bit about me, I am currently doing a PhD in privacy and digital mental health technologies. I also teach and research on the side as well. Outside of work, I love to bake, and also run - which balance each other out perfectly! Smiley LOL

I also get the wonderful chance to work with SANE as a Peer Ambassador. My experience and the reasons I was asked to join this forum is that I have been a carer and supporter for my mum for a long time, as she's lived and gone on the recovery journey with a complex mental illness. Over the years this journey has been bumpy and challenging for both of us, and I'm really keen to support other young carers who are also on this journey. Throughout my experience, I've faced the challenge of accepting the identity of being a carer, juggling caring, school, work, social stuff…and also LIFE! 

I'm really looking forward to tonight's discussion Smiley Happy

Welcome @Shaz51  🙂 Woohoo.

giphy.gif

Thank you for reminding me this was on tonight. Im not really up for talking but i might read along with whats being spoken about.

That is okay @outlander  no problem at all 🙂 We're very glad you're here regardless. I am sure you have heaps of insight into this one. Heart

Hello! 
As someone who is new to being a young carer, I'm really looking forward to hear your perspective and insight @Tim_YPA 

Hey @Tictac  thanks so much for joining! We're looking forward to your insight too 🙂 

hello @Tictac Smiley Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance