Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Exploring Loneliness // Tues 18 Sep, 7pm AEDT

@suzanne I’ve noticed since coming out to my friends and family about my mental illness they don’t come out snd ask hiw I am. Yet if I broke my leg I am positive my friends would rally round snd help me. This is really lonely when you feel no one cares. 

I think the loneliness epidemic has a lot to do with living in a modern capitalist society. We live in competition with other people, we value possessions and consumer items over spending time with other people, we work long hours (often at anti-social hours) and we've replaced actual meaningful connections with people with social media.  

I've been available for family and friends forever but am invisible to them.  The things that are important to me aren't respected or given time in other peoples lives.  For some reason this happens to some of us.

I agree that a sense of belonging is a really key part of it @MoonGal.  And it's something that seems harder to come by in our mobile, quick-changing society.  Is it something you've had in the past and hope to again?

Does anyone have any thoughts about why loneliness has increased to such an extent?  What's happening within our society?

Society has become very individuated, consumerism/captialism is geared to fulfilling one's personal 'wants' to the detriment of having one's needs met I think. I am VERY fortuante to have all my material wants and needs met - but the connection with people is what is missing for me.

Very ironic 😛

Good point @BlueBay about the impact of disclosing your illness.

I was going to ask everyone here tonight about that.  What impact has living with a mental health concern had on the level of loneliness in your life? 

I hear you @frog@MoonGal. That connection to your passions is so important  and when we isolate ourselves - we also lose that interaction  with another who shares the same passion  and talks the same language .

@suzanne - I have always been an outlier even when working, or part of something bigger like an active unionist, I find connection hard. I am very fortunate to have a great partner, she works - so I am at home alone all day during the week. She is on leave at the moment just habging about home - and we are playing playstation and doing a bit of gardening, itis noce to have company for a change.

Sounds right re definition
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance