Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Exploring Loneliness // Tues 18 Sep, 7pm AEDT

And age and financial insecurity being shut out of family, well addiction as well

@Sharman I believe devices have the capacity to strengthen connection if we utilise them correctly. Unfortunately, we are using them as a substitute fro connection, not only as an enhacement or a 'stepping stone'

I think that's a very common experience @utopia.  We emerge from a very dark time to find less and less people around us.  So we might have the energy and motivation back but not the opportunities.

That's where our lack of connections within our communities are really being felt.  Once upon a time neighbours would at least still be there.  But now we don't know who they are most of the time.  Or we invest in getting to know them only to have them move!

I'm sure I'm not alone in really craving community.  But I've moved around so much myself that it's hard to come by.

Anyone managed a strong connection to their community?

Re impact question its intertwined now @suzanne 15yrs ago family supported me no no

No one asks me anymore re hows job what are things like that’s probably good in a way. I like being alone but not when I don’t have any contact at all eg even txts @suzanne

@Pinky - true, although I have been brave a few times and asked to connect in real life with someone I have met via social platforms and discovered it was very fraught, they ended up not being my tribe and then I had the angst about not wanting to see them again but them wanting to see me. I can be myself on Scoial media without all the jagged bits (when I am reasonably well anyway). I don't feel lonley all the time - but when I am depressed I do, I had a month of it a few weeks back and was beside myself. I got on to the forums and that helps. 

Certainly

No connection with community @suzanne well if people I know don’t why would others dunno

I agree about the impact of devices and our facebook 'friends' @Pinky and @Sharman.  It really came home to me a few years ago when my brother separated from his partner.  I live interstate so I wasn't able to help a great deal.  So I watched with interest how helpful his 600 facebook friends would be.  In the end, you could count on one hand how many of them got involved and provided support.

I hope that online communities like this one are a little different.  More real and honest.  I think they play a role in helping us feel less lonely.  But I would argue that we still need people in our off-line world.  What do you think?

@suzanne I have been very fortunate and found a strong sense of community where I live. There is a lovely group of Thespians that are very open about mental health. Unfortunately, due to my mental state, It took me a long time to find the group as I was projecting my unhappiness onto them and assuming they didn't appreciate my company when really, I was welcomed just the same.

I find it interesting that sometimes the barrier to feeling a sense of community is our own fears of rejection and feelings of sadness. Like fog hiding the sunrise. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance