Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Exploring Loneliness // Tues 18 Sep, 7pm AEDT

People in offline world are very important re conversation is all about non verbal cues? @suzanne

Yes! But how? I am so unreliable due to physical or mental ill health that I might line something up but then be having a bad day.week whatever and end up reneging, people stop asking. When I do catch up with my former crew round some event that we all attend, everyone says "You look SO well" and "We must catch up". But we never do. I don;t KNOW how to reconnect - should I start volunteering sowmehere, but then know I might not be able to do my 'shift' or whatever. I don;t want to let people down.

I would 100% agree that we need people in an offline world. Although, it should be recognised that for some people with SMI, connecting face-to-face may not be an option. It may be too daunting a task, and so the on-line world is incredibly necessary and helpful for providing connection

Nice to see you here at Topic Tuesday @TAB 🙂  Not sure if we've ever crossed paths at one of them before.  Is this a topic close to your heart?

I'm  trying to make a connection with community @suzanne. I had a good friend I met here but she died nearly 2 years ago.  Now it's  trying  to find who are my people.  I don't think I trust my own instincts on this anymore. 

Hi @suzanne yeah 1st time caller .. not long time listener ..lol um yeah and its very topical atm re subject

Just got here!

I have eventually thought too that if people didnt need me then I would just have to learn to live without them (even though they were around). I have spent most of my life alone. Raising children alone (while married). I have close friends who I can call on for help but I am not part of their life...not included in their family life.

I dont have any parents, nor do I have siblings that I want to have anything to do with. Family and inclusivity is a big thing to me but Im always kept an arms length away by my friends. I once included friends in my family functions but not now.

@Jonty8 I think you've described the crux of how living with a mental health concern can isolate people.  It's hard to be out of step with people discussing work and family life.  But I wonder if the isolation comes at a cost? 

@MoonGal Hi MoonGal I have looked at many places to volunteer and the majority have waiting lists!!! I would love to get back into the work force some how but at the moment with a mind like mine it is not possible .... but I haven't given up 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance