Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Exploring Loneliness // Tues 18 Sep, 7pm AEDT

This forum is certainly a great place to connect with people that are similar to each other in respect of having or living with someone who has a mental illness - and that sense of community is very apparent here...but I agree with you @suzanne that those connections in the off-line world are very important. I think a lot of us connect on here because we don't have that outlet in the offline world and therefore the forum becomes our 'safe place' - here we form very real connections and become close to people - and that is invaluable in many f our lives. I can say that some of the connections I have made here mean more to me than those I have in the offline world - maybe that is because of how much easier it is to share what is really going on in my life here without any judgements and maybe it is because of the very real sense of compassion and caring shown - whatever the reasons - this community matters a great deal to me.

Yes @suzanne A smile can really make my day, even from a stranger.

We can't communicate a smile online - a smiley emoticon is not quite the same (though still good).

Adge

I moved to this country town 7 years ago.  It's  a very conservative town and I don't  fit with their views,  style etc.  So it's  hard to try to form new friendships .

HI - I live with loneliness in 2 ways - my younger son was diagnosed with BPD 2 years ago, my elder son with an eating disorder amongst other mental health issues and as result I suffer anxiety and depression - I find it really hard to connect with the outside world at times because my world has become so different to my friends and families -

I get my smile fixes at shops and checkouts @Adge @suzanne

Agree @Zoe7 ❤️

Interesting that you raised volunteering @MoonGal.  It's always one of the strategies recommended to help make connections.  And it makes sense it a lot of ways.  You have an activity so it's not all about forced conversation.  And hopefully the activity is based on a shared interest which also makes it easier.

I'm curious as to whether anyone here has given this a shot and make new friendships this way?

No different if you live in the place you were born from what I've found

@suzanne - It most definitely does come at a cost. I guess for me it ties into comparing yourself to other people. The fact is right now nothing interesting is happening in my life besides trying to survive - no interesting career developments, no exotic holidays. I've love to be able to see my friends and family and just spend time with them, without probing questions about my life that put me in awkward and uncomfortable positions.  

Thanks @Liss23.  Good to know that following your interests has paid off for you.  It sounds like you do it very actively - running a fb group - which is admirable.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance