Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Exploring Loneliness // Tues 18 Sep, 7pm AEDT

@MoonGal Shared interest definitely create a stronger, more meaningful connection

GP @greenpea 😸 good night and thanks I was being all serious on here I did see you 😀 think I might run/turn into a pumpkin as well

Welcome @EK1 and @Yabitha.  And good to see you here too @Adge and @Zoe7.

You've reminded me of something I've banged on about a lot in the past @Zoe7 - so apologies if you've heard me say it before!  I think that online communities are a brilliant way to rebuild social skills and confidence.  They get rusty when we isolate ourselves during periods of illness.  And so building those online connections reminds us that we're actually kind and funny and likable.

I've always hoped that people use that increased skill and confidence to then build connections offline.  Has that worked for anyone?

@suzanne

i am too scared anxious to join any groups 

NAwwww , sorry Utopia - what a bummer! Sounded like it was just the ticket. Hopefully it will regroup. 💜 I had not thought about joining a group, perhaps a book club, or meditation group or soemthing. MMMMM. that might be the best idea. I could dip in and out that way. Perhaps. eep.

Not yet @suzanne it seems to hard xnd scary 

I find that the concept of "imposter syndrome" has progressed from a fear of inabity to make connections in the workplace to most aspects of my life (now that i cant get a job). I pretend to connect with people in order to try and foster connections. Its not a skill that my psychologust seems to be able to help me with.

Really relate to your thoughts on loneliness @Teej!

There is also the alterntive side where you do not want that personal connection. I have been very independent and somewhat isolated all my life. I really don't enjoy the company of others - maybe that is a result of early trauma and learning to fend for myself in a lot of ways but I don't often find I am lonely. Loneliness for me is not necessarily about human interaction - I find comfort with my fur babies and spending time with them. People generally 'annoy' me - that is a long and deep seated issue for me and one that I don't see changing too much - the online world has opened up more opportunities for me - maybe it is because it is silent and anonymous - and the chance for rejection and 'noise' in my life is greatly reduced.

I've always wanted to do drumming @utopia!  What a shame that it hasn't continued.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance