Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Exploring Loneliness // Tues 18 Sep, 7pm AEDT

There's a great book out at the moment called "Lost Connections'  that looks at the social reasons for depression and anxiety.  The author tells a great story about how a GP in the UK got sick of prescribing so many anti-depressants and so wanted an alternative approach.  So he started prescribing patients to join a community garden.  It was essential a scrap of dirt outside the surgery that gradually got turned into a lovely garden.  And the impact on the patients was huge - less isolation, better health, less loneliness.  And less need for meds.  It's inspiring stuff.  But not common enough yet.

I think that PHaMS support workers used to do a bit of that buddy stuff @suzanne and help people join groups or help them attend things. Since the ndis rollout that has stopped for many people. 

I think we all need to make a real effort to make connections when we can. Small steps -- I agree @Liss23, @suzanne

agree!

Yes @Shaz51.  Small steps.  So on that note...

For those of you who would like to feel less lonely, can you think of a small step you can take in the next few days?  Nothing that will create a sense of fear or pressure.  But something that can move you slightly towards a new real connection.  To feeling seen, heard and valued.

@Jonty8. Yes.  Because  I don't work.  I'm  home all day.  People I know  work full time.  Have kids.  Have husbands.  So sometimes I feel  intrusive,  trying to get some of a busy friends  time.  Feels almost like I'm  groveling or begging for some time.  It's  humiliating and  depressing

What a fantastic idea  re working in a community garden - my 19 year old son lost all his friends over the last few years due to his illness and their lack of understanding and is constantly lonely and a project like this would be wonderful for him - give him a sense of purpose and achievement without the fear of too much commitment and human contact which he so badly needs!

I've been wanting to try meet up groups for a while now. As @Teej pointed out, there's a tendency to put off your social interactions to a date further in the future when you might feel better or more worthy. Having a "buddy" would help immensely!

I have DBT tomorrow and those connections have been really good for me. I have found that I am beginning to enjoy the group but it took several months for that to happen. Sometimes we need to give things time to help us.

Trying to start up a conversation  with someone in the street or in the library  - maybe @suzanne. But it's  so awkward  when they don't  want to stop and chat.  It makes me feel  desperate. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance